What would you guess is the next optimal time to build

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerstuffomg

Solid State Member
Well, we all know that technology updates fast and prices change swiftly with the evolution. There seem to be optimal times to start new builds. Based on evidence, when do you think would be the next best time to build a computer in terms of price and the time you could get out of it before it goes obsolete? Things that affect this are new operating systems, processors, video cards, or the inventing of totally new platforms for any of these items that changes the way we can make more efficient use of space. For example if in 3 months someone figures out how to put 15 chips in the space we utilize for 2 chips now, doing the same amount of work, the industry will experience a paradigm shift. This is sort of getting philosophical, but in the end I (and others I'm sure) just want to know when I'll get the most out of my money and not have to worry about upgrading for a long time. There is some risk and uncertainty that noone can avoid but it seems that I have awful timing when buying expensive things, so I'm looking for help from people who keep up with this stuff. I was going to do a new build a few months ago but decided to wait after hearing that AMD is coming out with a new thingamabob, and blah blah xyz bob & co. is optimizing their technology....

hopefully you can make sense of this.

If you just recently build your computer, theres no point on building another one just because theres a faster one. Otherwise you'd be spending all your money on upgrading your computer to keep up with technology.

You know its time to create a new build when your system is not giving enough power to do the task you want it to do. If you want it to play those high end games and it wont play or or your not satisfied to how it plays, then you might consider upgrading your gpu.

Mine, i barely play games anymore thus making my computer a real killer for the task Im just doing with it. But will be playing Flight Simulator soon when I get to college as it should help me learn to fly before I actually fly by myself :D

hmm....The next time might be either the last quarter of this year. Specifically November, because a lot of new things are going to be released, around that time. Like AMD's K10 and Nvidia's G92. But I think these things will be priced at a premium. So maybe early next year. Where things will settle down, like the prices. But that's also when Intel's 45nm processors come out. So probably sometime at the beginning of next year.

I've been at this for awhile now and have discovered there's no point in waiting. Your best bet is to just get the best stuff for the money and try to keep it all semi-future proof (P35 chipset for example).

There will always be something around the corner. Wait for G71, wait for the x1950, wait for G80...don't buy now, R600 is coming in a few months! Now waiting for G9x series.

I'd say now is a great time as current hardware is decently powerful and DDR2 prices are low. (for example once Penryn/Barcelona/Phenom come out they will be **** good but it won't make C2D obsolete, C2D will be in the game for awhile as they are VERY capable processors, **** AMDx2 is still holding its own)

I've been at this for awhile now and have discovered there's no point in waiting. Your best bet is to just get the best stuff for the money and try to keep it all semi-future proof (P35 chipset for example).

There will always be something around the corner. Wait for G71, wait for the x1950, wait for G80...don't buy now, R600 is coming in a few months! Now waiting for G9x series.

I'd say now is a great time as current hardware is decently powerful and DDR2 prices are low. (for example once Penryn/Barcelona/Phenom come out they will be **** good but it won't make C2D obsolete, C2D will be in the game for awhile as they are VERY capable processors, **** AMDx2 is still holding its own)

True that! Ye, if you say wait for the new processors and gpu's then once you buy it, there will be new ones that are better than yours. So no point really. then prices of the ones you bought will go down and youll kinda regret buying them earlier. which is whats happening to me now but then again, it happens to everyone since technology is always getting better.

I would say it's now or March/April of next year when the prices of new products settle down. If you have the money now build it, and if you need to save up wait until next year.

...but then people will just spout a bunch of stuff about how we should all wait until Nehalem comes out in a few months.

i dnt belive there are optimal times to build, there are bad times to build, i built my system probarbly a month before dual core CPUS came shooting down in price, however technology is forever evolving, getting better and cheaper, you will get ****ed off what ever time you build tbh

I look at it this way, their is always going to be a faster part coming out in X amount of time, no matter what time of year it is.

Build up a good budget, figure out the parts that you need for your computer so that it can do what you want it to do, and buy those parts at the best prices possible.

Just like someone else said on here, don't worry about having the latest and greatest computer parts. You'd be in debt up to your neck within a year if you did that.

If you did want to wait for what's coming out next, but not too long, you could wait for Nvidia to release their new video card line-up this fall. I think that's the only thing that's being released until '08.

another way to look at it is like this:

my x2 4200 build cost almost 1300.00 (for EVERYTHING). i could build it today with all the same parts for about 8-900 bucks. zoikes.
if you have the money, why wait? if you dont have the money, may as well wait. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom