What would make my PSU suddenly begin to roar like a lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

I have had really nice [well, at least I thought it was real nice] PSU that suddenly began to make really loud noises [roaring now vs. super silent before].

The unit is an Ultra Infinity DR 600 Watt PSU [ULT-xf600]. It has two fans, one that sucks in the air from the computer case, and the other fan blows out the rear of the computer. Both fans appear to be 80mm.

When I went to Ultra's website, it appears as if this unit is no longer under warranty.

Is there anything I can do to fix or remedy this howling monster?

I thought it would be quite easy to merely install a new 80mm fan. Someone told me it is dangerous to open a PSU and work on it if I have never done so before...

Could someone here please give me a little more insight into my options?

I would appreciate any good advice.

Thanks,

Soar

Yes its very vrry dangerous... the capacitors store huge amounts of current and are discharged if you accidently hit them... very bad for you.

Does the roa sound like fan bearrings, or is it the fans themselves?

What is the temps like by the psu and case?

Yes its very vrry dangerous... the capacitors store huge amounts of current and are discharged if you accidently hit them... very bad for you.

Does the roa sound like fan bearrings, or is it the fans themselves?

What is the temps like by the psu and case?

Paton,

Thanks for your reply!

And I will remember what you said about the capacitors too.

When I stuck a wood pencil inside the cage and stopped the fan, all noise ceased immediately [ I just realized that I had better be more careful just in case graphite can conduct electricty]!

All temps are just fine. CPU is running low 30's normal load, 40's under high load.

Computer case is also showing great temps.

And the PSU feels merely warm after I turn off the computer after a few hours and check it. So I see no overheating aspects whatsoever.

I am not sure if it is the fan or the bearing....are taking these cases apart very difficult?

Any other ideas?

Soar

Does sound like the bad fan... bearings sound like a grind type sound.

Google has mAny easy safe methods to open the psu before you work.

Paton,

Ok, I will google it when I arrive home and check it out.

Do you know of any specific sites that have excellent pictures and diagrams?

Soar

I take almost everything apart, call me Mr. Voided Warranty :D
rpp12506fk6.jpg

There should be 4 screws holding the cover on. Just be really careful and only touch the fan and the fan wires and you'll be ok :D

I take almost everything apart, call me Mr. Voided Warranty :D
rpp12506fk6.jpg

There should be 4 screws holding the cover on. Just be really careful and only touch the fan and the fan wires and you'll be ok :D

Slaymate,

Ok, thanks for that awesome pic too!

I'll be sure to read up a little more and to be extra cautious when disassebly/reassembly parts of the operation!

Thanks again!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom