What would help my performance the most???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbinnerarity

Baseband Member
Ok, I recently built my first computer a couple of months ago for about $800 and now, that I've had it for a while, Im beginning to realize that i cheaped out on some stuff that I really shouldnt have, mainly my motherboard. So what my question is....what would help my performance more right now (what should I upgrade?)

Heres what I got:

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I have windows vista 64-bit on a 640 hdd (western digital caviar) So tell me what you think I should get....

Well I think that might not go to well; I'm using a similar motherboard and a brisbane X2, and I haven't really been able to overclock my thing at all -- at all. I hear a lot of brisbanes are like this, especially when using low end motherboards.

With that setup I would upgrade the proc (phenom II?) and then get a new motherboard at a later point in time.

Definitely don't get that 770 mobo, you can't upgrade too far with that one. To upgrade to the PIIs, you want a 790GX motherboard at least. There's lots of good ones for not much more money than that 770.

The overclocking is a negative.....It is pretty much impossible with that motherboard. I am overclocking the 4850 a good bit. But so the Phenom II's would be the way to go?

I will be getting a different motherboard first though. Ill just have to upgrade the processor later.

what if I did this???

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

and

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

How would that work out???

Definitely don't get that 770 mobo, you can't upgrade too far with that one. To upgrade to the PIIs, you want a 790GX motherboard at least. There's lots of good ones for not much more money than that 770.

Agreed...

Newegg.com - ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

My new favorite 780G board :D

I call it the mini-790GX :D

The overclocking is a negative.....It is pretty much impossible with that motherboard. I am overclocking the 4850 a good bit. But so the Phenom II's would be the way to go?

I will be getting a different motherboard first though. Ill just have to upgrade the processor later.

what if I did this???

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

and

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

How would that work out???

Looks sweet! Maybe if you want to cutback on prices check out the ASrock 780g I mentioned above

There is presently only one way to fix this bottleneck. A Solid State DDR drive. Please do not confuse flash SSDs with DDR SSDs. They are entirely different devices. Sure they are both solid state, but then so is a lump of concrete.
What are you using for your c drive?
HyperOs Systems
This video helped me understand what kind of increase to expect.
Patriot Warp 32GB Solid State Hard Drive - SATA-300, 2.5" PE32GS25SSDR at TigerDirect.com
Osiris says this
http://www.techist.com/forums/f27/optimize-windows-solid-state-drives-usage-196689/
NosBoost300 notes xp compatibility problems
http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/ocz-solid-state-30gb-ssd-193800/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom