What is the weakest link in my current rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your motherboard is an AM2 motherboard, which it probably is, you can only upgrade to another AM2 socket CPU. The highest CPU you can upgrade to would be that 6000+ you listed.

Actually the best AM2 is the 6400+

But the 5400+ Black Edition or the 5800+ are better for the money

Do you really need to upgrade the processor? Is their a game you are unable to play? Someone mentioned DDR2 800, but what about DDR2 1066?

*Nevermind 1066 is not compatible in your setup

Do you really need to upgrade the processor? Is their a game you are unable to play? Someone mentioned DDR2 800, but what about DDR2 1066?

*Nevermind 1066 is not compatible in your setup

I agree.. I've been using the X2 4600+ and I think its enough, those CPU's are nice but you'll have no noticeable difference

Hi all, I'm sort of a noobie (compared to you guys, anyway), and I'm wondering what is the weakest link in my rig. I'm trying to make my computer up-to-date as possible, despite the fact that I don't play games like Crysis. I guess I want to tackle the most "urgent," outdated component first, and work my way down the list.

Anyhow, here it is:

Processor (I'm guessing this is the weakest, but hardest to replace?): AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 4600+ dual-core processor 3800+
* 2.4 GHz
* 2000 MHz front side bus
* L2 cache: 512 KB ×2

Memory: 4096 MB DDR2 533 MHz (PC4200) (four 1024 MB modules)

Video: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT (512MB GDDR3)

Hard drive: 320 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II hard drive with 8 MB cache

Thanks in advance. =) Any advice or info would help.

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 4600+ dual-core processor 3800+

Im confused, is it the 4600+ or the 3800+. if it's the 4600+ you could surely overclock it so like 2.7-2.8 on stock fan and heatsink by just raising the FSB. I was able to figure out how to do it, so I'm sure anyone can.

Im confused, is it the 4600+ or the 3800+. if it's the 4600+ you could surely overclock it so like 2.7-2.8 on stock fan and heatsink by just raising the FSB. I was able to figure out how to do it, so I'm sure anyone can.

Your right a X2 4600+ shouldn't be bottlenecking any card on the market at the moment. But if you feel like you must crank up the resolution up a bit you could always just oc it from 2.4 to 2.7 with stock heat sink like the guy before me said. Or get a nice 30 dollar heat sink or so and sqeeze out 3.00ghz which shouldn't bottleneck any GPU on the market at the moment (excepy maybe the 4870X2). But then again that card uses 450 watts or so at load.

Perhaps a better upgrade would be the motherboard, a nice AM2+ and overclock like ****. That would leave the upgrade path for an even newer processor open (Shanghai or Istanbul should be supported with a BIOS update I think?).
He could also SLi that 9600gt if he got a good board if he ever discovered the world of great quality graphics and online gaming (Considering 9600gt's seeem to be so good at it)

Suggestions for a good value/quality board

Perhaps a better upgrade would be the motherboard, a nice AM2+ and overclock like ****. That would leave the upgrade path for an even newer processor open (Shanghai or Istanbul should be supported with a BIOS update I think?).

thats what they said about dropping phenoms into am2 boards. dont get me started.....
and dont trust that upgrade path. AMD and the mobo makers really shafted quite a few of us with the high-end 590 mobos. "high-end" read: the most expensive am2 motherboards made. hence, i wont buy evga anymore. i would, on the other hand, buy AMD again if they would just step up to the plate.

Yours is a Brisbane X2 4000+, the X2 4600+ are mostly Windsors that are 90nm (unless he has the new Brisbane) and won't go that high... I couldn't get past 225 FSB even when I messed with other HTT Settings and whatnot, but I may have a high VID (need to check).

But I didn't notice any diff between either, so I found no point in going up.

Your right a X2 4600+ shouldn't be bottlenecking any card on the market at the moment. But if you feel like you must crank up the resolution up a bit you could always just oc it from 2.4 to 2.7 with stock heat sink like the guy before me said. Or get a nice 30 dollar heat sink or so and sqeeze out 3.00ghz which shouldn't bottleneck any GPU on the market at the moment (excepy maybe the 4870X2). But then again that card uses 450 watts or so at load.

Not true I don't think. I emailed albert from tigerdirect tv and he told me I would need at least the AMD x2 3.2 ghz or even a phenom so a 9800GTX+ wouldn't bottleneck. he could be wrong however

did albert ask you what resolution and type of game you would be playing?
if he didnt, albert is wrong.
high resolution and FPS, no it wont. low res and RTS, no it wont. high res and RTS, yes it will. maybe. depends on how old the game is, settings etc etc so many variables.
the only way that you will have a bottleneck is if you are trying to play COH or SC (or the sort) or Crysis (in its own category) @ 1920 x 1200 or higher with the settings cranked.
bottlenecks are completely blown out of proportion on this forum (just an observation) and almost all others i have seen. dont buy into it. do the research with the hardware, or do some research on the web. benchmarks may show a difference, games dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom