What upgrade could I best put my money to this christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion233

Baseband Member
Because Christmas is around the corner I figure Id use some of the money to upgrade my PC.

My specs are as follows

Case: NZXT Guardian
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 4870 HD 1GB
RAM: Gskill PI BLACKS 800 DDR2
Mobo: Biostar I45

What upgrade could I make the biggest performance change?

your computer is already pretty good and if you have a pretty big budget (at least $500) you can go for the core i7's which you have to get a new motherboard, cpu and ddr3 ram. but i would suggest you to keep your build if you are happy if it but if not and need more performance you could either get the core i7 as i said or get another 4870 hd and crossfire it if your motherboard supports and if not upgrade the motherboard too.

So upgrading the cpu will cost (up to you if you have quite alot of budget)

Core i7 920 $300 @ Newegg
Intel DX58SO $259 @ Newegg
Crucial 3x 1GB memory $95 @ Newegg (for triple channel to increase bandwidth)

which will sum up around $650 just for an cpu upgrade!

OR

another HD 4870 for $200 @ Newegg
crossfire motherboard for $100 @ Newegg (if your motherboard does not support crossfire)

which will sum around $300

It is your choice and if you do graphics intense gaming then go with graphics card upgrade. If going on rendering video or photoshop or other cpu demanding applications then go for the CPU upgrade

none. with new graphics cards around the corner and gpu upgrade is useless, and you cpu is fine and i7 upgrade is not worth all that money unless you building a system from ground up, your system as is, is a monster system anyway, so just add it to ur computer fund;)

You could get a hard drive for some storage or a fast hard drive, like the Velociraptor or an SSD (don't know what you already have).

Another option would be to get a watercooling kit so you can get some high overclocks.

Also, how much RAM do you have. You could go for more capacity and/or faster RAM.

supposedly nvidia is releasing new cards in some time Q1 of 2009. if it were me i would get a nice PSU that could handle any system. after that probably more ram. and then when core i7 comes out then i would upgrade.

a monitor upgrade. nice cpu cooler (that comes with 755 and 1366 adapters) soundcard.

your computer is already pretty good and if you have a pretty big budget (at least $500) you can go for the core i7's which you have to get a new motherboard, cpu and ddr3 ram. but i would suggest you to keep your build if you are happy if it but if not and need more performance you could either get the core i7 as i said or get another 4870 hd and crossfire it if your motherboard supports and if not upgrade the motherboard too.

So upgrading the cpu will cost (up to you if you have quite alot of budget)

Core i7 920 $300 @ Newegg
Intel DX58SO $259 @ Newegg - THIS MOTHERBOARD = FAIL
Crucial 3x 1GB memory $95 @ Newegg (for triple channel to increase bandwidth)

which will sum up around $650 just for an cpu upgrade!

OR

another HD 4870 for $200 @ Newegg
crossfire motherboard for $100 @ Newegg (if your motherboard does not support crossfire)

which will sum around $300

It is your choice and if you do graphics intense gaming then go with graphics card upgrade. If going on rendering video or photoshop or other cpu demanding applications then go for the CPU upgrade

ya that motherboard sucks.. lol

gigabyte x58 DS(whatever number it is)4?

or the foxconn renaissance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom