What to upgrade for best bang for buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emptyvoid

Baseband Member
So a few months ago I built a computer and the specs for the computer are:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

Graphics Card: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Hardrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CD/ROM DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

I run this on Windows 7 OS and I haven't overclocked. The Motherboard can crossfire. Two extra slots for RAM. I have some extra cash that I can burn and I want to upgrade this computer. What would be the most worthwhile thing to upgrade that would give me the biggest increase in performance? I was thinking getting an SSD but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: What would be a good SSD to pick up for my rig?

Buy yourself a cooler and overclock for one.

What is this PC used for? How much cash you have?

Crossfire and more ram are options but they depend on what you do.
But an SSD would be a great upgrade too.

Buy yourself a cooler and overclock for one.

What is this PC used for? How much cash you have?

Crossfire and more ram are options but they depend on what you do.
But an SSD would be a great upgrade too.

Gaming and around $200-300 give or take. What kind of a cooler would be best? I don't mind dropping a decent amount on a cooling system as long as its good.

My internet is acting up so I'm going to help best I can.

The Corsair hydro series is good but not worth the price when you can get the same performance from a cheaper high end air cooler. or so I've heard.

I agree on picking up another 5770. Ram, you don't need more than 4gb for gaming but it can't hurt, but you won't have the cash for a kit. You don't want to buy 1 stick. You will lose your dual channel.

EDIT:
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler That's a great cooler.

Thanks for the advice guys. Two questions. Does it matter what 5770 I get? Will it crossfire just as well (related to that would it not be as effective if i got something higher than 5770 and tried to crossfire it with my 5770?). Also for Dual Channel for the RAM, all four sticks don't have to be the same right? Just 2 of same and 2 of same?

You want to get a 5770 with the same amount of memory the clocks will be that of the lowest clocked card which you can change with a simple OC.

Ram in dual channel, you want to find all 4 at the same speed but in size they only need to come in pairs.
i.e. a set of 2x2 & a set of 2x1 is ok so long as both sets are 1600.

If one set is slower than all 4 will downclock to that speed.

In any case I would Highly suggest getting the exact same kit as you have now to prevent any timing conflicts or downclocking.

You want to get a 5770 with the same amount of memory the clocks will be that of the lowest clocked card which you can change with a simple OC.

Ram in dual channel, you want to find all 4 at the same speed but in size they only need to come in pairs.
i.e. a set of 2x2 & a set of 2x1 is ok so long as both sets are 1600.

If one set is slower than all 4 will downclock to that speed.

In any case I would Highly suggest getting the exact same kit as you have now to prevent any timing conflicts or downclocking.

Will definitely get the same kit to avoid issues. Seems I should just get the same 5770 graphics card as well to avoid issues. Thanks for the heads up Abstract.

Edit: What would be a good SSD to pick up for my rig?

I agree with the card. but I'm a fan of symmetry. lol
NP

As per SSD, I'm not familiar with the tech but I know we have some reviews and other posts for them.

Hey guys, update question now. Sorry if this is considered a necro post.

So I'm debating whether I should get SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity or if i should get another XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ?

And if I should get the 6870, should I crossfire it with my current 5770? Money isn't a huge issue. The problem is that I don't want to get into a cycle where I keep getting a newer single card and never really use my crossfire capabilities. Thanks for the advice in advance guys. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom