What Sound Card?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2005, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default What Sound Card??

I just bought the new ASUS A8N32 SLI Delux motherboard, and was wondering if I should save money and use the onboard sound card which is stated below:

RealtekĀ® ALC850 8-channel CODEC
Universal Audio Jack
Audio Sensing and Enumeration Technology
Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF out ports on back I/O

Or should I purchase a PCI soundcard such as the soundblaser X-Fi sound card for $113.00 (card only, not the platnum,fitality series).

What to do??

Old 11-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Go ahead and get the X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card, it's TONS better than any onboard sound solution, and most other sound cards in it's price range (for gaming that is). You will not be disasspointed.

so, umm, err yeah
Old 11-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Onboard sound will be worse. It'll only support 32 voices or 64 at the most. (64 sounds at once). It'll have lower quality like bitrate and that kinda thing. It won't have advanced EAX for games and it won't have crystaliser and that kinda thing. So in all it'll be much worse. Although some people can't tell the difference between differen't qualitys but the 128 voices and the advanced EAX on the X-FI will make a difference but only on games and maybe on films. So it depends on what you use your comp for. Use it for games go for X-FI, use it for films maybe get X-FI, use it for recording music and music editing get a pro sound card, use it for just browsing web a listening to music then keep the onboard. But overall it's worth getting!
Join the metal/rock revolution.
Closed Thread