What is so great about amd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicide007

In Runtime
Ok, i know there is something about amd's currently having more power than intels. which clock measurement is that? is it a larger cache or something? please just tell me. (and, please dont tell me about conroes, I KNOW!!) And, does hyper-threading help this difference? Thanx.

k, the current amd is better than intel, not because of cache or because of raw speed. nitestick put it best one he said it like this:

think of intel as having a highway with 8 lanes, but every now and then there are potholes and damages to the roads, so the info gets their, but not quite well. AMD on the other hand has 4 lanes but its like the highways in germany, no problems at all.

AMD is more efficiant per clock cycle and is more power efficiant but this changes in a month with Intel's Conroe.

The cycles are on a rougly 3:2 ratio, it takes a 3Ghz Intel to match a 2GHz AMD because AMD does 9 operations per cycle while Intel only does 6.

Core 2 Duo (Conroe) looks fantastic from benchmarks so it might be a strong contender once it comes out in late July. AMD is working up something and has just released the AM2 mobo socket to support potential future releases.

suicide007 said:
Ok, i know there is something about amd's currently having more power than intels. which clock measurement is that? is it a larger cache or something? please just tell me. (and, please dont tell me about conroes, I KNOW!!) And, does hyper-threading help this difference? Thanx.

Don't confuse Hyper-Threading with Hyper-Transport

Hyper-Threading is Intel's deal
Hyper-Transport is AMD's deal

Hyper-Threading is a technology (barely deserves the name) that makes 1processor core SEEM like two. This is of no benefit, and everyone that I know who has a P4 w/ Hyper-Threading gets better performance with HT turned off.

"HyperTransport (HT), formerly known as Lightning Data Transport (LDT), is a bidirectional serial/parallel high-bandwidth, low-latency computer bus. The HyperTransport Technology Consortium is in charge of promoting and developing HyperTransport technology. The technology is used by AMD and Transmeta in x86 processors, PMC-Sierra, Broadcom, and Raza Microelectronics in MIPS microprocessors, NVIDIA, VIA, SiS, ULi/ALi, AMD, Apple Computer and HP in PC chipsets, HP, Sun Microsystems, IBM, and IWill in servers, Cray, Newisys, and PathScale in high performance computing, and Cisco Systems in routers. Notably missing from this list is semiconductor giant Intel, which continues to use a shared bus architecture." - WikiPedia

This topic has been rather beaten to death. Do a search on AMD vs Intel, and you shall find more answers than you would care to read :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom