What should I do - HDD related question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default What should I do - HDD related question

I am having a bit of a re-shuffle with my computers, the one in question here is my main server. The plan was to have my old storage array (4 * 250GB samsungs in RAID 5 on a highpoint 1740) and a new booting array (4 * 147GB seagates in RAID 10 on an adaptec 2405). Unfortunately something between the two controllers and/or my motherboard (supermicro H8DCE) meant that I could not boot. I have an LSI 8204ELP so I thought I would use that to replace the highpoint but the LSI being a useless piece of junk doesn't support anything.

The adaptec is new and I have a 2-3 days left where I can return it just because I feel like it so here is the question: do I return the 2405 and upgrade to the 5805 (£340) so that all the HDDs are on the one performance controller or do I buy another 2405 (£150) to work the samsungs?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: What should I do - HDD related question

Sorry to bump the question already but if I am going to return this 2405 then I want to tell them sometime tomorrow.
In short my situation is this: together the LSI and the Adaptec cost ~£290 and it means I have a hardware RAID 10 and a software RAID 5 - far from ideal. If I am to return these it might cost ~£15 and the single replacement card will cost ~£340. This is the solution that "feels right" to me but it will cost £355-£360 in total.
Another possible solution is to return only the LSI (~£140 back to me) and buy a cheaper SATA RAID card this will put me in roughly the same position storage-wise I'm in now but I might be ~£50 better off. This solution "feels wrong" and does potentially come with serious issues but in total only costs £240-£245.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
Old 11-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Do what feels right to you.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasaid View Post
Do what feels right to you.
Done. Ebuyer customer service is amazing, I got free delivery when I order the upgrade, nice!

Closed Thread