What should I do - HDD related question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmote

Seg Fault'n,
I am having a bit of a re-shuffle with my computers, the one in question here is my main server. The plan was to have my old storage array (4 * 250GB samsungs in RAID 5 on a highpoint 1740) and a new booting array (4 * 147GB seagates in RAID 10 on an adaptec 2405). Unfortunately something between the two controllers and/or my motherboard (supermicro H8DCE) meant that I could not boot. I have an LSI 8204ELP so I thought I would use that to replace the highpoint but the LSI being a useless piece of junk doesn't support anything.

The adaptec is new and I have a 2-3 days left where I can return it just because I feel like it so here is the question: do I return the 2405 and upgrade to the 5805 (£340) so that all the HDDs are on the one performance controller or do I buy another 2405 (£150) to work the samsungs?

Sorry to bump the question already but if I am going to return this 2405 then I want to tell them sometime tomorrow.
In short my situation is this: together the LSI and the Adaptec cost ~£290 and it means I have a hardware RAID 10 and a software RAID 5 - far from ideal. If I am to return these it might cost ~£15 and the single replacement card will cost ~£340. This is the solution that "feels right" to me but it will cost £355-£360 in total.
Another possible solution is to return only the LSI (~£140 back to me) and buy a cheaper SATA RAID card this will put me in roughly the same position storage-wise I'm in now but I might be ~£50 better off. This solution "feels wrong" and does potentially come with serious issues but in total only costs £240-£245.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom