What RAM would ya recommend for my new AMD 1055T/GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
After doing some reading and asking friends, I finally decided to purchase the GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 MB to compliment my new AMD 1055T. Not sure what would be the best RAM in this scenario...

What RAM would ya recommend for my new AMD 1055T/GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 MB?

Several sources are stating that AMD is not designed to work well with anything higher than 1333Mhz...that sounds a bit strange to me...why would AMD even consider manufacturing such a chip?

Then, after already purchasing the AMD 1055T, I read this shocking statement:

"The Memory Controller on the AM3 CPU's is, by design, set for 1333 Mhz memory modules or slower. You are better off not trying to run your RAM above 1333 Mhz when using an AM3 Phenom or Athlon CPU.
If you do so, you run the risk of system instability and even damaging the Memory Controller on the CPU. If you do manage to get your RAM running over 1333 Mhz, your system can appear to be fine and might even pass Memtest and other benchmarking utilities successfully. However, AMD have discovered that, in certain scenarios, the system may fall over after a period of use, depending on system usage and if you are stressing the CPU. This normally indicates a problem with the Memory Controller and you may need to replace your CPU if this happens."

To be totally honest with you, if the above statement is true, I feel shocked, disappointed, and quite reluctant to even break the seal on my new AMD 1055T box.

Is this statement BS or is it based upon fact and reality?

If it is true that AMD chips do not work well with RAM above 1333Mhz, and that I can actually cause irreparable damage, then what would you recommend?

I'd appreciate some good advice on this matter.

Thanks,

Soar

If you have the northbridge speed at 2400-2600MHz it will be able to take advantage of DDR3-1600
But anything more is a waste on Phenom II chips. Lower latencies tend to have more of an effect.

I have 8GB of this RAM in my PC (1090T @ 4.2, NB @ 2600)
It's running at 6-8-6-18 1T @ 1.6V

I think this should do well...

You'll probably want to wait for comments from other people. I'm not quite sure what is good RAM wise, but I've heard G. Skills makes really good RAM. Once again, wait until someone else posts.

DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5V; It's pretty low-end.
What you can expect from it: it works and it's cheap

The ECO RAM I posted is quite good value. It gets 7-8-7-24 at 1.35V as opposed to 1.6V you normally see with RAM that has those timings.

Oh, right, the timings... Hm...
Would 7-7-7-21 be better for $99.99?

Trotter,

Long time no talk to you! How are you and what's new in your life there? Great job on this new forum look. You guys are definitely on the ball!

Thanks for replying. Ok, I looked at the specs and reviews at the Egg on the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series you recommended and it sure is encouraging! They appear to have excellent reviews and best of all, the AMD'ers have great things to say about these sticks.

Do you mind if I ask you what type of rig and at what speed you are running these?

Last, are you placing your CPU at risk if/when you run these at 1600 mhz?

Thanks,

Soar

Trotter,

Long time no talk to you! How are you and what's new in your life there? Great job on this new forum look. You guys are definitely on the ball!

Thanks for replying. Ok, I looked at the specs and reviews at the Egg on the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series you recommended and it sure is encouraging! They appear to have excellent reviews and best of all, the AMD'ers have great things to say about these sticks.

Do you mind if I ask you what type of rig and at what speed you are running these?

Last, are you placing your CPU at risk if/when you run these at 1600 mhz?

Thanks,

Soar

Yeah, I'm still here.

My rig in in my sig: Phenom II x4 965, Asus M3A785TD-V EVO, EVGA GTX 260, those Ripjaws, Corsair 650W. I am currently running them at 1333 because I have some stuff running on my rig that I need to run uninterrupted for now, and then I will be bumping them up to their native speed of 1600.

No, there is no risk to the your CPU by bumping up the RAM. It is all done by the motherboard and does not affect the CPU whatsoever (other than to give it faster access to the RAM). Even mild overclocking doesn't really afffect a CPU as their lifespan is normally much longer than just about any other component; heavy overclocking may cause damage/shorten lifespans, but mild overclocking is like revving your car's engine.

Yeah, I'm still here.

My rig in in my sig: Phenom II x4 965, Asus M3A785TD-V EVO, EVGA GTX 260, those Ripjaws, Corsair 650W. I am currently running them at 1333 because I have some stuff running on my rig that I need to run uninterrupted for now, and then I will be bumping them up to their native speed of 1600.

No, there is no risk to the your CPU by bumping up the RAM. It is all done by the motherboard and does not affect the CPU whatsoever (other than to give it faster access to the RAM). Even mild overclocking doesn't really afffect a CPU as their lifespan is normally much longer than just about any other component; heavy overclocking may cause damage/shorten lifespans, but mild overclocking is like revving your car's engine.

Trotter,

Nice to hear from you again. Ok, thanks for placing my heart and mind at rest. I suppose we cannot believe everything we read. Nice rig you have there. Have a great day Trotter!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom