What PSU should I get for "Future Proof"? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Fayt19
Default What PSU should I get for "Future Proof"?

Hello, I just want to say upfront that I read the sticky on PSUs and I feel I still need help with this issue.

Heres my current specs:

24" Monitor (1920x1080)
E6600
9800GT
6GB DDR3
500GB HDD
Enermax 520W

I just bought the NZXT Switch 810 case and am looking for a PSU for the my new gaming build in the near future. I don't know what I'm going to. Uh yet so that's why I need help choosing a good PSU that will last years.

-I plan to get the 2500k/2600k unless something new/better comes out when I finally buy the parts.
-I plan to overclock to the max!
-I will most likely never SLI/Crossfire as I will only ever have 1 monitor for gaming and would probably rather buy a new GPU than try to SLI/Crossfire
-I plan to put in an open loop watercooling system
-Maybe 1 SSD and 1-2 HDDs unless SSD drops in $ a lot

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I have $160 budget after shipping, in the US (Lower 48). I would like to shave $30 off that so I can buy the Hyper EVO as I plan to use that on my E6600 now and for the future chip I buy of its compatible of course.

I did some messing around on all the PSU calculators and I think for what I want, I need a 750W PSU.

After looking around on Newegg I found that Corsair PSUs are 15% off right now. I found this PSU:

Corsair AX 750W

It comes to $143 Shipped after the promo. Is this a good PSU to go for or should I go for something else?

Thanks in advance!

Fayt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: What PSU should I get for "Future Proof"?

AX is good, but since you wont be really taxing it too hard I would just get the cheaper HX. Still great quality, 750w is a good medium wattage to cover any future upgrades, and still modular to keep cable management pretty.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Fayt19

So it's better to save the $20 and get the 750HX or just say screw it and get the AX series? I mean if the build quality is really that much better, why not? The deal ends today so I need to know what one to get.

I can get the 750HX for $124 or the 750AX for $144
Fayt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

If you got the money then go for the AX I suppose. Real world difference, not too much because they are both great.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote