What psu power for a 8800GTS/GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
as per title please, as i believed about 450w-500 is fine for a gts and then about 550w for a gtx, obviously of a good brand.

Is that right? reason i ask is because ive just had a friend on msn say that he thinks you need about 700w for a GTX, and he gave me a link to a pc forum where people were telling him this.

Now is it just me or are they all wrong

700w is too much power. All you need is a 500-550w PSU, good and reliable brand of course, with at least 30amps.

A Corsair 520w, can handle it fine, because it has 54 amps, on it's 12v+ rails. Theres also the Antec True Power Trio 550w, that has 54 amps, as well. And the power supply guide here at TF, shows that an FSP (Fortron Group) 400w, can handle the GTX, with 36 amps, on it's rails.

I would go with the Corsair mentioned above. 500w is good. You don't need 700w unless you're going to use SLI.

im not getting a 8800 yet, this 7950GT 512mb does me very well, i was just asking so i can show my friend on msn thats hes wrong lol

My new favorite PSU is FSP (Fortron Group).

Of course they come in second to PC Power and Cooling. But PCP&C is just way too expensive.

like mentioned above: 500w is perfect.

My favorite PSU for your money is Xclio. Their PSU's are rock solid and all comparable to FSP quality. They are as cheap as well. I like the Greatpower 550 model...it will handle what you need it to.

However if you want a more trusted brand and a 5 year warranty the Corsair 520HX is a sick PSU as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom