What psu do I need? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: What psu do I need?

Absolutly Sentey is cheap I wouldn't normally recommend that type of power supply anyways to a client of mine unless they are planning on overclocking their system. A Sentey is perfectly fine for normal buisness computers, howevery the other psu that I recomended even though it would be about $10.00 over what the budget was, is great because it can adapt to what ever power the computer would need. I let my clients know that when they are planning on overclocking their computer they are on their own.
I normally don't allow for a power supply unit under $60.00 on a budget build. And those types of builds I normally get where i'm at. But yes again I agree with both of you a Senty is absolutly no good.

harrisandrewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: What psu do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisandrewn View Post
Absolutly Sentey is cheap I wouldn't normally recommend that type of power supply anyways to a client of mine unless they are planning on overclocking their system. A Sentey is perfectly fine for normal buisness computers, howevery the other psu that I recomended even though it would be about $10.00 over what the budget was, is great because it can adapt to what ever power the computer would need. I let my clients know that when they are planning on overclocking their computer they are on their own.
I normally don't allow for a power supply unit under $60.00 on a budget build. And those types of builds I normally get where i'm at. But yes again I agree with both of you a Senty is absolutly no good.
Then why recommend it here?

If you're talking a business they can afford if something decides to up and quit. A user like this one on a budget can't. As per what I wrote on my guide thread, the PSU sends electricity to every single component in the PC and a cheap unit can overvolt, undervolt, die unexpectedly, and even take out each component in the PC. That being said, overclocking or not the absolute #1 piece that should get the most attention to detail is the PSU. There are some pretty good budget oriented quality units available for sale under 50 bucks in the US, like the eVGA 500b and the Corsair CX500. You can also sometimes find the Seasonic S1211 520w for sale for 50 bucks too which is a fantastic unit for the money.

Look I'm not trying to be rude, single you out, or push you away from the boards but please don't recommend cheap junk you wouldn't buy to somebody else. Even if they're on a penny budget try to make the best out of what they have or sometimes you just need to advise them that saving is the better option. I wouldn't run a Raidmax 430w PSU that comes in a cheap case in my rig, I definitely won't tell somebody else it's ok to buy.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote