what is PCI-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakestyle

Baseband Member
i accidentaly ordered PCI-e video card and i've never heard of them. can someone tell me what they are all about.

Pci-e refers to pci-express

do you know if your motherboard is agp or pci based? If so, the Pci-express wont work in your computer.
But if your motherboard supports pci-express, then it should run fine.

PCI-E is the type of slot that it goes in. all video cards now are either AGP, PCI-E, or PCI
normal PCI is for really low-end cards
AGP is what replaced PCI video cards for the most part, because PCI is slower
PCI-E (different to normal PCI) is the newer slot, replacing AGP, which has much more bandwith (bandwith = rate at which data can be sent through)

basically, if you have an AGP motherboard, you can only use an AGP or PCI video card (just about every computer has normal PCI)

if you have a PCI-E motherboard, you can use a PCI-E video card

and motherboard = where everything gets plugged into

Dang, you'll need to either order a different video card (agp based) or a new motherboard that can support pci-e

what motherboard do you have?
because unfortunately not every AGP card works in every AGP motherboard. if you're getting a new card, it will most likely be an AGP 8X card. to be able to run that, your computer has to have at least AGP 4X. 2X is not compatible because the voltages used are higher, and it could potentially damage your new card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom