What is needed to make a 3-D capable PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
Well as I think about what my build will be like and possible future-proofing(at least for a while) I started thinking about 3-D. I am wondering if the newer/newest GPUs are 3-D ready because I thought that DirectX 11 was for 3-D? I know you would need a 3-D capable monitor and glasses and I don't know if those are cheap enough to even be an option(would a 20" be $800 or $300). I also don't know if there are any games in 3-D yet or if they will be in the next couple years.

Just some of my rambling thoughts. I just wanted to know if anyone has any opinions or insight on this.

Currently Nvidia is the only one doing 3D capable gfx cards. They've got a list of cards on their website that are compatible with 3D Vision (too lazy to link you, sorry :p). Apart from the glasses and monitor/projector, that's all you'll need

Ok, thanks guys. I guess that means I will probably want an Nvidia GPU for my build then.

Do you know if there are any games that will run in 3-D? I mean ones made for 3-D not just converted.

Ok you get a link from me too this time :grin:
Game with NVIDIA 3D Vision

For games it's a little different than a movie 3D-wise. Because the game is rendered in realtime, it essentially can be 2D or 3D in a snap of the fingers depending what you want. A movie can't do that obviously. So yeah, making games *for* 3D kinda doesn't work the way you'd think it does.

Well after I posted that I kinda thought about what I said. To explain it to myself I thought well, the "Left Eye" image would just be generated from what you would see if your character stepped to the left a bit, correct?

Yeah pretty much. Because everything's generated in the game by the engine, it knows where everything is already. So it can give you a 3D view of anything

Make sure you get the best 3D Monitor available. I got a really cheap 3D monitor with loads of ghosting, and it's only 22inch. It's kind of a deal breaker, because after the initial excitement has worn off a few weeks later the ghosting really starts to annoy you, but monitors are getting better and better at reducing this.

If you can, go with a projector. You can get the HD66 (the one I got) for $900 Australian, I can only assume it's gonna be at least $100 cheaper in the US. Best money I ever spent, so many good nights in the movie room ;) and man, 3D looks amazing on it.

Well this would just be in my room so a projector may be overkill. If I was living in the basement right under my room a projector would be perfect. We have borrowed a friends before and used one of the walls and it looks great even with an old projector.

My parents were going to buy my monitor as a graduation present but I may just have them give me the cash and I could add some of my money towards a 3-D monitor. This build may cost more than I thought it would:annoyed::wtf:.

By the way S0ULphIRE I just looked on amazon and that projector is $618.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom