what MB would you go for

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
Planning to build a new system and considered the I7-8700k but thinking the 9700k for just a little more, Looked a MB choices and found some I like but not too crazy on the brand company as I once was SO what MB would you go for in the LGA 1151 (300 Series) and why would you choose the one you do. This post is mostly to see your opinions on what you like WITHOUT any comparison to anything I liked thus not posting my choices but keep in mind I WILL be searching your choices to buy and would prefer around $150 or so and maybe a little more if it's got some good options, Will be using much of my current system for now so will be buying just MB CPU and Ram at this time.

Thanks and look forward to researching the choices.

I have the ASRock Z-370 TAICHI. It's a great board with decent OC capability, and with the latest BIIOS it will support your 9700K should you go for it.
- I am a long time fan of the company thanks to PP Mac, as they have always had great customer and RMA support.
- I went for the Taichi instead of the Extreme4 for the built in Wifi. But both boards are very well suited for my needs as I don't OC very much but like to push past defaults some what.

Obviously you can look it up yourself, but here's the link to the page w/CPU support.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370%20Taichi/index.asp#CPU

It's also logical to assume that the 390 series boards will be of the same quality I have come to expect from ASRock.

PP that is the one I was thinking about honestly, I used to LOVE me some ASUS but the support and warrentee really has hit the bottom, A friend had me build one and he insisted on ASUS and I was actually really impressed with the board but leaned to ASRock as they have much better support if any problems arise, And the phantom 6 was the one I was thinking on when I made this post, this is the ASUS board that impressed me but the ASUS part made me look at ASRock this time.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119160

Asus makes good boards, but so many sloppy problems I've run into. It's on both AMD and Intel platforms so it's just them. One friend had 3 Z370 ROG boards that had 2 dead DIMM slots. My best friend has a Z370 ROG board that just blue screens for no reason (100% stock). Same install, same hardware, just moved to an ASRock Z370 and no more blue screens. My cousin has an Asus B350 board, won't take XMP or a RAM speed higher than 2133. He came over for water install and I decided to try a B350 PC Mate (MSI) I had laying around and bam his RAM ran at 2666 without any sub-timing tweaking. He could even achieve a higher CPU OC than on the Asus. Their ROG boards look great and have some of the best features available but I just can't get myself to purchase any of them. When I had my 7700k I had the Rampage Extreme in my Amazon wishlist with the built in Bitspower monoblock. Went with an Extreme6 instead and glad I did. I just hate how ASRock doesn't really compete on that high high end like they used to in the X79 and X99 days. If you want over the top ridiculous you absolutely need a top end ROG board. Their Taichi boards are great, and I love my Fatal1ty Gaming i9 but they all lack super high end features found on ROG boards minus the 10Gb Aquantia NICs.

I'm sold on the ASRock for my needs, Had it as the board to get but just wanted to see how many confirm it to be good in this case, I have had very few issues with ASUS but the one I did have left me really disappointed with ASUS and my current Z87 is doing well and going to my girls son (The reason I get a new build HEHE) but I don't do much on OC ing other than a minor tweak but really have had no need nor do I want to benchmark so ASRock will be a perfect board, Now I only have to wait for the kids progress report from school before I order (BOOOOO He BETTER not be screwing up LOL) but this should be a few weeks to a month at most and if nothing dramatic changes in Tech this is what I will order. I am however just getting the DDR4 3600 for price reasons LOL Don't really want the little woman kicking my butt for spending way too much LOL

I'm not so sure about ASRock boards personally, Last year I got an A320M-HDV board and 6 months later it stopped booting up. I contacted ASRock for an RMA and they never replied....just left out hanging in the cold with a dead board.

Has anybody ever tried to get service from ASRock? ....I'm not impressed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom