What makes a GOOD monitor?? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: What makes a GOOD monitor??

Been trying to find monitors that are VA or IPS instead of TN and am out of luck. The only one I've found was the Dell UltraSharp and that costs $1000.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

TBH I wouldn't worry too much about whether you get an IPS. VA is way to slow for gaming, and TN colour reproduction is fine for everyday use. It's only a problem really for graphics pros, who have to have a deadly accurate colour representation on the screen for their jobs.
When you're gaming, you're not going to notice if the colour is egg white when it was meant to be light egg white

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Oh its not the color reproduction I'm worried about. Id like it to produce the colors well but I need to choose a monitor that has low input lag and good viewing angles. Hate the monitor I have now the viewing angles are horrible. Any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to bloodzero

I personally love ASUS. I have two 23" moniters and the picture on both screens (different models) is quite stunning.

The ASUS VH242HL-P is the best moniter I've ever had. The picture is amazing in full 1080p. The moniter itself is 23.6" (16:9) which gives you a nice, large screen to work with. Also has a few little bonuses like a swivel and height changeable base, along with built in speakers. Which is good if it's late night and you don't want your main speakers waking anyone in the house up. Has DVI/VGA/HDMI connections, so it works with basically every computer. Only cost me $210 shipped from Nextwarehouse.com. Definitely worth every penny plus a few extra. Blu-Ray on this moniter looks amazing.

The ASUS X233H bd is like a little brother of the VH242. Can still get stunning resolutions, but the quality is not the same when compared side by side. Still worth every penny though. Was $130 shipped from Newegg.com (was on some sale). This was my main moniter for awhile and I was very happy with it. Haven't seen how well Blu-Ray works on it, but it's something I think I'll test out in the future.

Closed Thread