What laptop should I buy? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default What laptop should I buy?

Hello everyone. My laptop is 6 years old and it's so slow, laggy, and the screen is broken so I seriously need a replacement. I need your help deciding what laptop to buy.

The two main problems of my old laptop are the memory (1 GB RAM) and the screen (problem with ribbon cable resulting to screen flickering). The screen flickering began 3-4 years after I bought this laptop. On the fifth year I had it repaired and the ribbon cable was replaced. It was okay for about 6 months then the flickering recurred.

First off, I'd like to start with the things I'm unsure of:
> What laptop brand to buy? Acer, HP, Lenovo, Asus, etc? - my laptop is Acer and the only thing I can complain about is that they could have made a better ribbon cable.
> What operating system to choose? Windows 7, or Windows 8? - I'm using Windows 7 but I'm not sure if I want to stay with 7 or upgrade to 8
> Should I buy a tablet with a detachable keyboard, or the classic laptop?

These are the things I'm looking for in a laptop:
> A laptop with OS pre-installed (Windows 7 or 8) or as long as my total expenses will be $700 or less
> 8 GB RAM
> at least 500 GB HDD
> A laptop that won't have a ribbon cable / flickering problem.
> A laptop that can be used without the battery - I use my laptop for hours at a time, so the battery will not last long. I use my old laptop without the battery. I just plug it in like a desktop pc.
> My budget is maximum of $700
> A laptop that I can use for at least 5 years. - this might be asking too much but after all, my old laptop is 6 years old.

Here's what I'm planning to do with my new laptop:
> Play games - Wizard101, BigFish games (I'm not looking for a gaming laptop. Wizard101 has a low system requirements. This game will run smoothly in a 2 GB RAM computer)
> Record video using Bandicam while playing Wizard101
> Multiple tabbed browsing while playing

I don't know a lot about computers and what to look for when buying so if I miss anything, please let me know.

I'm looking forward to reading your responses. Thanks!

Viridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: What laptop should I buy?

welcome to TF.

Sounds like something like this Asus would work.
Newegg.com - ASUS X550LB-NH52 Notebook Intel Core i5 4200U (1.60GHz) 8GB Memory 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 15.6" Windows 8 64-bit

Decent i5 cpu, and a entry level dedicated videocard and the cpu boosts to 2.6Ghz.

But any laptop with the same relative specs will be great.

Oh and it's under $700
Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote