What I am doing with my i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
With my GPU on it's way and next week my Case being ordered.... there remains only one thing I can really do.... work on my cable management and desk organizing ....

What I have:
1 Laptop harddrive converted to USB (60GB) (Uses 2 USB)
1 "6 slot hi-speed 51-in-1 card reader" (Uses USB)
~ number of USB pen drives varying in sizes from 256mb to 2GB
1 4GB MP3/video player/radio (USB to charge/upload)
1 Digital Camera - although it is missing it will require a USB port some day when found.
2 Digital Picture Frames (require quite frequent USB charging)
1 USB 2.0 4-port USB Hub

1 Belkin "media splitter" it was designed to plug in multiple "ipod" and other MP3s to listen to each others music - I have it set up to have several standard Speakers playing the same channels.(Speaker jack)

1 Xbox 360 w/hdmi (I use the same monitor for PC as I do to play my Xbox due to HDMI)
3 ethernet ports in use - 2 from PC 1 from Xbox 360
1 worthless 24 port Ethernet Hub (speeds sub-par not supporting 10/100 and thus unusable for Xbox 360)
1 set of 2.1 Speakers (sub woofer and 2 small "fronts")
1 set of 2.1 Speakers (sub/2 small fronts - however using different connection to connect together)

So as you can see - I have a nerve cluster amount of wires coming from this thing, it is afterall the center of my home -and everything revolves around it to an extent, that and I am Retro Futuristic Tech lover and the whole idea of my computer being a "main frame" to some high tech sci fi world just makes me smile.

Problem is... with so many cables and so many different devices, I don't want to pull too much power from my Gaming or possibly cause a Magnetic Field of interference or something due to electrical currents. A lot of people put house fans close to their PC's to cool them -but if I do that I think its a bad Idea, when I had it close (within 12 inches) to my old CRT - I could see magnetic distortion to my screen - causing the corner/side it was close to to alter in colour and pattern to purple and greens and flicker - this is very bad I know - so I had to move it, I worry that something similar might happen with this set up.

I need some suggestions here. I really hate to "take anything away" from my work station here but I am starting to hear a high pitch ringing in my ears all the time now when the PC is on - that or I have a concussion from a ladder hitting me in the head last week.

Please help with some ideas on how to manage all this, I would love some sort of USB caddy buddy to put my USB devices into so they are all right there, and the cables run into it and out the back and to the PC, I've seen some around....

I want to get my new PC up and running it's best and part of that is not having a cluttered desk and not having everything plugged in that doesn't need to be plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom