What the heck do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawizhacker

Daemon Poster
Ok, so I have a computer...works fine, I bought 9800GT OC and the card requires 6 pin connector. The power supply is some wicked old school mother _______ has weird connections like sata and such... but no 6 pin. I have a diff power supply with 6 pin connection but no sata ones.

Can I like chain link them? Or what do I do? Not spending anymore $ BTW.

Does the second PSU have to be plugged into a diff mobo in order to power up?

no, just powered by your wall socket and it'll work. but you shouldn't have to, look at which power supply has the most amps over the 12v rails, generally the higher the amperage over these rails, the more the power supply can handle. if this is your ocz powerstream you'll be fine to handle it, just use a molex to 6 pin connector. these connectors should have came with your card. if not heres a link Newegg.com - LOGISYS AD201 12v Molex to 12V 6Pin Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers

hows it hooked up to your raptor now then xD you could always use adapters for that aswell (if you have to) but im certain it has sata connectors. i think using adapters puts more pressure on your power supply, but if your only runing one hard drives and the 9800gts you should be fine.

EDIT: just seen how old the powerstream is, i assumed since it was 800w it would be relatively new. i cant find anything except a 600w one but as long as your got decent 12v rails you should be ok, otherwise use your other psu if it has sata connectors.

For the second psu to power up you need to hot wire it with a paper clip its the red wire to any black wire I believe but you may want to doublecheck via google as I am not certain. Needless to say take the usual precautions with a psu don't have it plugged in and leave it a couple of days to discharge before fiddling with it.

Your graphics card should of come with an adapter but pretty much all psu's with sata are modern enough to have 6pin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom