What is the function of this component inside my Coolermaster HAF X?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi.

I am trying to put together a new build in a new Coolermaster HAF X. I discovered this strange component inside the 5.25 bays and I am trying to figure out what it is and why they put it there.

I think it is to be used for SSD drives, but I am not 100% certain.

Can someone please explain it to me?

If it truly is for SSD's, what is the benefit of using it rather than simply plug into the SATA III socket on the MB? Is it designed for RAID? Why a separate circuit board?

I am kinda confused on this strange addition and not sure exactly what to do with it!

Please help me out if you can.

Thanks,

Soar

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 52
"SATA DOCK
The Cooler Master RC-942-KKN1 features SATA dock to provide easy installation without removing side panel."

3.jpg shows a molex power connector and 2 sata connectors.
the molex provides power, the 2 sata connectors still connects to your motherboard via sata cables.

4.jpg shows 2 sets of sata data connector and sata power connector similar to what you'd find on a modern sata ssd/hard drive.

easy to swap drives if you need to. just slide in the drive to match up connectors on the drive to the sata dock, and done. no need to fuss with disconnecting sata data and power cables and reconnecting them.

Ok, thanks guys. But why would I need a hotswap bay? What is the purpose?

The only thing I could think of is I was gonna transfer lots of data and I would use it like a massive thumb drive?

Or, do people take their OS, data, etc. home with them or to work, so they need to constantly switch the SSD?

Sorry for my ignorance. You have helped me understand what it is, now I am trying to figure out how/if I should use it.

Soar

Yea I answered the other thread and didn't see this one.

It's for people who need to swap drives between large amounts of data that is possibly backed up. Not really intended for the average user.

Yea I answered the other thread and didn't see this one.

It's for people who need to swap drives between large amounts of data that is possibly backed up. Not really intended for the average user.

PPM,
You guys are the best. I could have spend hours and days trying to figure this stuff out and you consistently help me discover the truth in just a few minutes.

Please do not misunderstand me. I still do my best to discover how thing work by googling it and/or visiting other sites. But you guys here seem to come back with very accurate and very swift answers.

Thank you very, very, much!

Soar

PS I suppose I am an average user because I see no need whatsoever to use the hotswap bay.

The good news, is that I also wanted to install a 140mm fan up front just above those hotswap bays. Now I can do it!

I am posting a pic of how I did installed the 140 mm fan in the HAF 932. Now I intend to do it in the HAF X [Actually, I just did it after reading your post].

Thanks!

Thanks,

Soar

Attachments

• 2500k Build Cooling Air Flow Direction.jpg
    2500k Build Cooling Air Flow Direction.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 58
Yea as of right now I have no life so I watch my boy and sit at the computer. I'm either on here, Facebook, or playing Nintendo 64 on my projector.

The hot swap is great if you routinely back stuff up, using A regular hard drive. The connections faster than usb, so to do OS Backups, picture back ups etc.

My cases have the port on the top, you just plunk the drive in and go.

Yea as of right now I have no life so I watch my boy and sit at the computer. I'm either on here, Facebook, or playing Nintendo 64 on my projector.

Spending quality time with your child is probably one of the most important activities you can do on planet earth...esp. if he is still in the formative years!

Are you looking for a job or what's going on?

Hey, thanks again for your help!

Soar

The hot swap is great if you routinely back stuff up, using A regular hard drive. The connections faster than usb, so to do OS Backups, picture back ups etc.

My cases have the port on the top, you just plunk the drive in and go.

Interesting. Now I am interested!

I was planning on hooking up an external WD Essentials for back up.

Are you saying I could hook up an internal on that hotswap and use that for the back up?

Soar

Back
Top Bottom