What do you think of this MoBo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digimortal

Baseband Member
Newegg.com - ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

The ASUS Sabertooth P67, I was looking at the Maximus IV but then I thought I really don't need 8x USB 3.0 and the layout of the PCIe slots didn't allow for SLI along with a sound card. While I still really like the Maximus, since the integrated sound card is still pretty good, I don't really see it as worth the extra 150 bucks.

As far as I can tell this build is pretty beast with plenty of overclocking capabilities without going for the ROG Maximus IV
Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

I know I keep posting pretty much the same stuff and keep asking for help. I just keep finding new things that look real nice and reading up on reviews and different sites and if I'm going to be shelling out 5 grand I want it to be perfect.

I've heard some people complaining that the TUF thermal shield actually keeps heat in but I'm pretty sure they don't realize that there's a place for a 50mm fan to attach to the board to push the air out. Why ASUS didn't include this with the board, I have no clue but it's only 6 bucks for one. It just seems like nobody really makes them so I had to go with some brand I've never heard of, but it's just a simple little fan so it shouldn't matter much.

It's a beast but that price is with everything since I'm ordering a new screen, keyboard, mouse and everything. It's a complete new system, since I sold my whole last build. The whole list is the second newegg link posted in my OP. A quarter of the price is just the 2x MSI GTX 580 lightnings though. I know just going with 1 590 would be cheaper and that is 2x 580 GPUs in SLI already but you can't clock them as high and I really like the MSI lightning xtreme, it's an amazing card.

lol what use is two GTX 580's? Waste of money if you ask me...as a single one is just fine maxing out anything...

The CORSAIR CMXAF2 Fan & Heatsinks is a total waste of money.

What do you need a 50mm fan for? EVERCOOL FAN-EC5020M12CA 50mm Case Fan is another waste of money.

The mobo comes with SATA 6 Gb/s cables, you don't need the, OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Cable, Straight to Left Angle W/ Metal Latch, Black, Backward Compatible 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps, cables.

The MSI GTX580 Lightning at $599 is another waste of money, save yourself some cash and just buy a good regular version of the GTX580.
Newegg.com - EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
With the money you'll save you can always buy a better aftermarket heatsink for them later if you need better cooling. And the better aftermarket heatsink will be cheaper.
Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME Plus multi-compatible cooler for VGA boards Products Model: ACCELS-XT-PLSII [ACCELS-XT-PLSII] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

(2) Corsair 60GB SSD's is another waste of money. Buy (2) OCZ 60GB drives or better yet buy a single 120GB drive.

Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The 50mm fan is for the Sabertooth...with that thermal covering stuff, it goes under the motherboard for better cooling :/

Yes the 50mm fan is for the mobo, the extra sata 6Gb/s cables is for the other drives since the mobo only comes with 2, the MSI lxe is a 3 GB version of the 580 and it is definitely the best 580 card I've seen but I guess I could get a different one up to the same clocks or even 1 590 up with some aftermarket coolers, I just didn't want to mess around with the video card(s) much since it seems harder to deal with than the cpu, and that cooler on the lxe is amazing. Lastly the 2 SSDs are for RAID 0 and the 2 HDDs will be in RAID 1. I went with the corsair drives because they looked like they had the fastest read/write speeds of any SSD I've seen. Even the Intel drives weren't quite as fast, only problem was the corsairs seem to be a little less reliable. The corsair memory fan I wasn't really sure about, I guess I could take that off of there. There are my explanations for all the "wastes" of money, they seem like good ones to me but maybe you can sway me against them with better explanations than "they're a awaste of money". Anything about my choice of microphone, or any of those extras I put in there? I just put in the best (IMO) of everything I needed.

Anyways I'm pretty much decided on everything except the motherboard and maybe the video card(s), the memory might be able to change too but that seems like the best with CAS7 at 1600MHz though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom