What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriM'

Baseband Member
Building a Gaming PC that will be slightly future-proof.

• Opinions and recommendations would be appreciated, thanks :)

**UPDATED**
scanrigupdate.jpg

Ah yes sorry, forgot to mention about the OS. I was getting 64-bit but can't see it on Scan; only the one with the Windows 7 key (extra £10 or so).

The i7 is slightly cheaper in Scan's Today Only.
And you don't need to buy that cooler, since the i7 you're getting there is Retail, therefore comes with the same cooler.
And that GPU cooling block isn't compatible with the 4890.
And you won't be able to use all 6GB of RAM if you get 32-bit Vista, you'll need 64-bit to see it all.

Otherwise, all good choices. Though personally I'd go for an HAF932 instead of the CM Storm (I have one, it's EXCELLENT in cooling), and it's 25 quid cheaper.

The i7 is slightly cheaper in Scan's Today Only.
And you don't need to buy that cooler, since the i7 you're getting there is Retail, therefore comes with the same cooler.
And that GPU cooling block isn't compatible with the 4890.
And you won't be able to use all 6GB of RAM if you get 32-bit Vista, you'll need 64-bit to see it all.

Otherwise, all good choices. Though personally I'd go for an HAF932 instead of the CM Storm (I have one, it's EXCELLENT in cooling), and it's 25 quid cheaper.

I originally had the HAF 932 in the rig :laughing: I don't know why I changed really.
What GPU cooler is compaitable with 4890? (If I need one that is)
I'll update now...
(I'll also rep you Yamik :p)

Maybe I could have 4GB instead of 6 and maybe even change back to 32-bit...

Well you could just remove Windows Vista itself, and use the Windows7 Beta (which is amazing) and you can buy Windows 7 later on..

You really want triple channel with a Core i7 and you can't get 4GB in triple channel mode

You really want triple channel with a Core i7 and you can't get 4GB in triple channel mode
Indeed; triple-channel is compulsory with the i7. And 6GB over 3GB actually gives quite a high performance boost.

and use the Windows7 Beta (which is amazing) and you can buy Windows 7 later on.
I agree, except I hope you mean the Windows 7 RC, since the beta has now expired.

Do you think I really need a GPU cooler?
&
Can you go CrossFire (4850) with 700w PSU? I guess I'll need to change motherboard and stuff aswell...

Do you think I really need a GPU cooler?
&
Can you go CrossFire (4850) with 700w PSU? I guess I'll need to change motherboard and stuff aswell...

Depends on the PSU, it will need to have four PCI-E connectors, and be good quality. You will need a Crossfire-capable motherboard too, that's all you'll really need to change.

And no, I don't think you'll need a GPU cooler.

Depends on the PSU, it will need to have four PCI-E connectors, and be good quality. You will need a Crossfire-capable motherboard too, that's all you'll really need to change.

And no, I don't think you'll need a GPU cooler.

Uh, I've looked on technical specs:
1 x 4pin ATX 12V
10 x 4pin Molex
2 x 6pin PCI-E Power
1 x 8pin CPU +12V
2 x 8pin PCI-E Power
2 x FDD Power
6 x SATA Power
Scan code: LN19235, if you want to check for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom