What do you look for when buying a PC or Laptop?

What exactly are the differences between the Core I products? And how do they differentiate from Core m? I see some laptops for sale and some are Core I3, Core I5, Core I7 and Core m...:confused:

This may help you. The video is good, but maybe a chart will better help you out as well.

What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 Haswell processor? | Alphr - Differences between i3, i5, and i7
https://goo.gl/Ag32O2 - Differences between i5 and Core M

Pretty much all explained already, although for the first link I already said NOPE to the first paragraph. You don't need an i5 or i7 to do Photoshop. A lot of what both said has already previously been said.

I watched some of that guy's videos. I've actually watched his videos in the past, and got some good info... however, sometimes, for someone like me, it actually complicates things even more, which is kind of ironic, considering the idea is to make things simpler.

In layman's terms, what exactly does TDP do? Does it just cool down a chip so that it doesn't overheat and malfunction?

I also heard Linus talking about some chips using technology that actually caps the full potential of a chip in order to... I don't even know :confused:. Something to do with the heat level, so that it won't overheat.

So, hyper threading is basically just an organisational type thing, so that a processor knows what's coming next and doesn't need to wait, but more cores are still better, right? Is this because more cores allow for more to be done at the one time, but also increase heat levels, meaning a higher TDP is necessary?

This may help you. The video is good, but maybe a chart will better help you out as well.

What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 Haswell processor? | Alphr - Differences between i3, i5, and i7
https://goo.gl/Ag32O2 - Differences between i5 and Core M

I had a look at this article.

Quad-Core is better than Dual-Core, correct? Something to do with being able to run more things at once?

What exactly is base-speed?

If a chip overheats, does it die, meaning I need a new processor in the laptop/desktop/whatever? Or does the system just need to be turned off and on again.

I explained TDP already. Thermal Design Point. He has a video on that too ironically. Basically the heat level output the chip maintains. Your power consumption wll be around your TDP so although loosely connected, realistically you can base consumption off heat output. In other words, where you have the 15w i5 in my laptop, the Core M will do 5w. Core M is simply made to tailor to the uber mobile.

HT utilizes the idle processes of a core to make a virtual thread, in super simple.

Honestly, this is a lot of advanced stuff that's not really necessary to know for a purchase and won't make much of a difference if you fully understand all this later anyways. Not that I don't mind explaining, just that I feel it's a bit above what we're on about here.

Quad-Core is better than Dual-Core, correct? Something to do with being able to run more things at once?

No, not always. If you're on the internet and just browsing you won't have an advantage of using an i5 (quad) over an i3 (dual with HT). To fully utilize all cores to make the most of the purchase software needs to be multithreaded which most isn't. You can technically run more things at once, but you need other resources to back that up as well.

Base clock speed of a processor.

If a chip overheats, does it die, meaning I need a new processor in the laptop/desktop/whatever? Or does the system just need to be turned off and on again.
All modern chips have overtemp protection where if they hit a certain degree for a period of time they will shut the machine down. If this happens you need to investigate the cause and solve the issue. Normally when this happens no harm happens but if you just leave it be there could be harm and you might potentially damage your chip.
aaa

PP beat me to the punch, but this may help you understand that: Ask Ars: what's the relationship between CPU clockspeed and performance? | Ars Technica

Overheating can damage a chip, yes. More info: CPU is overheating!

M stands for mobile, which means they are nto as powerfull as a i3,i5,i7 you would put in a desktop. the i series of processors is the intels flag ship of processors, they have core duo, core quad and pentium D centrino ect yet the i series is the lastest generation of prossers both for desktop and for mobile

I explained TDP already. Thermal Design Point. He has a video on that too ironically. Basically the heat level output the chip maintains. Your power consumption wll be around your TDP so although loosely connected, realistically you can base consumption off heat output. In other words, where you have the 15w i5 in my laptop, the Core M will do 5w. Core M is simply made to tailor to the uber mobile.

HT utilizes the idle processes of a core to make a virtual thread, in super simple.

Honestly, this is a lot of advanced stuff that's not really necessary to know for a purchase and won't make much of a difference if you fully understand all this later anyways. Not that I don't mind explaining, just that I feel it's a bit above what we're on about here.

:lol: Ok, ok... It's really just basic stuff I'm looking to find out anyway, so I'll leave all this TDP. I did watch his TDP video about watts and all that, but some of it still goes way above my head.

See, from what I understand, CPUs and GPUs cannot be upgraded quite the same way RAM or SSD/HDD can, so, you know, one thing lead to another.

That guy, Linus, does have great in-depth knowledge, and when he explains one thing, he uses terms from another, and it just from video, to video, to...:confused:. you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom