what to do in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poizen22

Camera junky
ok so i was planing on orderign these on friday Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
In Stock 24641 $114.99 $114.99
ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi 790FX AM2+ 4PCI-E16 CrossFireX 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard
Backorder 27089 $241.68 $241.68
Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 S754 S939 S940 S478 LGA775 Heatpipe Cooler 120MM Fan CPU Heatsink
In Stock 17867 $55.99 $55.99
Silverstone Strider ST60F 600W ATX12V 24PIN Modular Power Supply W/120MM Fan Active PFC
In Stock 19645 $120.47 $120.47
PHENOM 9700 QUAD-CORE
This item is a special order item. Additional delays may occur depending on supplier availability. You can cancel this item for a full refund before it ships.
Special Order 69431G $331.58 $331.58
Check to delete an item YOUR TOTAL $864.71

Shipping & Handling: $22.98
Shipping Insurance: $12.97
Subtotal: $900.66
GST(6%): $54.04
YOUR TOTAL: $954.70
CAD

ok so this is preaty much what im willing tospend on upgrades, the thing is tho this doesnt even include a video card. i do plan on overclocking the phenom 9700. but do you think getting this is wise? is there a cheaper and beter alternative if i whent with intel, and would that include me a 8800gt, with the ability to sli in the future.

well i am willing to intel if i can afford to get a 8800gt included. and if i get the phenom il probably pick up two 3870's because you get more performence out of crossfire then you do sli, im hoping this will make up for the gap between the intel and the amd, aswell as the gap from the 3870's, but im sure if i had two in crossfire theyd perform just aswell as a intel nvidia 8800gt sli system, il have to wait for soem comparison benchies i guesse.

hmmm... I'm sure penryn's gona beat em, but if you want to stay AMD, sure go with Xfire. Don't go 8800gt for multi GPU, and I guess in a few weeks/months it should be a tie between those 2 cards.

One thing that I have learnt - from constructing potential builds on websites for myself and looking at other peoples planned builds - is that choosing parts for a computer can be quite personal.

I would definately go with an Intel E6550, not just because its half the price of your choice allowing me to buy a 8800GT alongside it, but because i feel at home with an Intel CPU.

You are rather keen on owning an AMD processor. You'll have to really consider what you choose for yourself.

I really, really wanted a certain case for my latest build but I couldnt fit in in under my budget. I was almost prepared to go cheaper on the more essential parts just for the case. Eventually I saw sense though..

im not more keen to either side really, im hoping that when quad core is suported in games the phenom might do better do to one die, but that is a hope, not a certainty, either way the amd proc will give me the performence i want, the sugested retail price on it rigt now isnt correct, toms hardware allready mentioned that there 118$ over, so the price drop should coem very soon,aswell as the removal of the 9700 from the listings.

then if your not an AMD fanboy.. get Intel Quad, or cheap core2duo for now with the option you can upgrade that to Q9450 Penryn Quad when you got the cash. Its clear that Intel is the one to go for if you want "Performance".. it might be fractionally in the lead.. buts its still in the lead.

Its really up to which graphic company you want.. but nvidia does have the edge over ati so if its performance again.. then yeh get a 8800GT the only problem with that is not much choice of motherboard with sli. 680i is about it, 780i is out very soon thou. Choosing ATi you got much great choice of motherboards.. CrossfireX (quadfire) looks sweet to me.. i worked out for the price of 1 nvidia GTX you can have QuadFire Radeon 3850 or the 3870.. start with 2 then you can get another 2 later just make sure the PSU is up to it. That should spank a GTX i reckon. Also radeon 38-- X2 card is coming.. 2 gpu's on 1 card.. so effectively quadfire with just 2 cards.

Unless you in dire need to build right now i would wait till january for sure! there still some excellent hardware still be to released..and we know that means current gen becomes old gen.. so much cheaper.

Cos ATi are giving Nvidia a run for their money with lowering prices its very possible for multiple gpu and not astronomical costs. Personally i would like to see some benchmarks.. QuadFire vs Sli :)

i might be building a whole new rig soon, as my mother wants to buy my current one for 600$ for my brothers, my rents are divorced and i live with my dad, so that leaves me with a budget of 1500 with shipping and taxes included, for a new rig, il need a new os aswell.

i hate the fact i can recomend things quite easaly for others but when it comes to my parts i have a hard time choosing:(

dude if you have 1500 bucks to play with, there is no doubt that you should go with an intel quad.
your rig is an s939 single core, right?
you have no reason not to go intel if you are going to be building a rig from the ground up. i appreciate the loyalty, though. as im sure AMD does. unfortunately, Phenom doesn't measure up if you do not currently have the hardware to run it. for me, great...i have a bad a$$ am2 mobo and ddr2 ram. cheap upgrade vs. changing platforms.
at the least, as a previous poster said...a high end c2d will cost less than a phenom and provide similar performance when overclocked.
i like westy159's advice. smooth...advising intel without being OVERBEARING about it. notice he says (and its true) you have to get what you really feel comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom