What to do? (Processor Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezhead18

Baseband Member
It seems I have hit a wall in my PC upgrading, I don't know where to go from here!

I feel that my single core processor is holding back my system quite a bit (budget systems are starting with better CPU's than mine), but the problem is my socket is seemingly being phased out (My mobo supports 939).

My question is: should I get a new motherboard supporting a new(er) socket, like AM2 (I'd like to stay with AMD) along with a new processor, or should I just get a new socket 939 processor and use my old mobo?

And specific products would be nice, because I have no idea what to look for in a mobo. I also have no clue how the different AMD dual cores stack up against each other, so some info on that would be nice.

Thanks in advance

wtf my post never came up, annyway get a evga 590 and a 5000+ black edition and oc, if you got a biger budget get a am2+ msi board or teh asus, and then get a phenom, thats if you have a higher budget and wana go all out, if not the 5000+ black edition will be fine.

It seems I have hit a wall in my PC upgrading, I don't know where to go from here!

I feel that my single core processor is holding back my system quite a bit (budget systems are starting with better CPU's than mine), but the problem is my socket is seemingly being phased out (My mobo supports 939).

My question is: should I get a new motherboard supporting a new(er) socket, like AM2 (I'd like to stay with AMD) along with a new processor, or should I just get a new socket 939 processor and use my old mobo?

And specific products would be nice, because I have no idea what to look for in a mobo. I also have no clue how the different AMD dual cores stack up against each other, so some info on that would be nice.

Thanks in advance

I say just upgrade to a dual core for now and wait for the next gen. quad cores and choose whichever one you want. I have a 4400+ which is also s939 and is still good enough to run the new games pretty descent. i say jsut upgrade to whatever s939 dual core that has 1 mb L2 Cache for now and jsut save up your money.

Here are my current specs
proc:AMD Athalon 64 3400+
gfx:ATI x1950 XT
1.5 GB RAM
MSI proprietary mobo

thx for all the responses

Amd gt player--- what is the difference of a opteron and an athlon? i wikied it and it says that opty's are amd's "server" processor line... also, why not get more than the 5000+(just wondering)

what type of ram is that you got DDR2? SPEED? 512mb Sticks?

dual channel DDR 400, 3 512 sticks

Amd gt player--- what is the difference of a opteron and an athlon? i wikied it and it says that opty's are amd's "server" processor line... also, why not get more than the 5000+(just wondering)

dual channel DDR 400, 3 512 sticks

the opteron is a server chip, but runs very well in day to day activyti's usually a litle more expensive due to a higher quality silicon, it oc's a lilte farther to and withstands more heat, itl work just as good as a desktop chip, now for the 5000+ i said 5000+ black edition which has an unlocked multiplier meaning he can over clock it very easdaly by just increasing teh multipler and the core voltage, if he wanted to go even farther he can oc front side bus, aswell as the multiplier and then the core voltage, but with the multiplier, you can get up to 3.3ghz on air with a 0.05 volt increase. un like the 6400+ black edition the 5000+ black edition is 65nm die so it stays cooler and actually alows you to oc it more, the 6400+be only goes to about 3.4 from 3ghz which isnt much for amd the 5000+ black edition is the best bang for your buck chip.

If your planning on having your computer last you longer get the opteron since it would cost you a bit more and probably faster, otherwise just get a 4400+ and save your money for an upgrade or whatever you please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom