What do I need to make this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
What type of video card or whatever would anyone recommend for this setting. I have a guy that wants to hook up his computer to his standard monitor but also at times wants it to be able to be able to watch it on his big tv. The tv has a vga in plus hdmi, and component. He also has a smaller tv that is already wired with hdmi to come from the computer.
So in a nut shell he wants the regular monitor which will be DVI, the small tv that has hdmi and the large tv I am not sure what to run, whether it be vga, hdmi, or component. I like the idea of another hdmi because it runs audio too where vga only runs video and would need another audio cable. Component would be the same issue. I would also like to use cat 5e to run any of this. Is that possible?
So, if this makes sense to anyone, what equipment would I need to make this possible? What do I need for a video card or cards? What would I need to make the cat 5 work? Thanks.

Well, "work right" is a relative term. Technically almost anything would "work," but more expensive equipment would work better than not-so-expensive equipment. With three HD displays, I'd suggest SLI or a fancier ATI single-GPU solution. If money doesn't matter, a GTX 580 4-way SLI would be the best option xD. balancing price and performance, I suggest GTX 460/GTS 450 SLI or a single HD 5850 /5870/6870. If he doesn't game, go with ATI as the benefit from NVidia's PhysX wouldn't be nearly as great. I'd go with i7 CPU, or Phenom II x6 for extreme multitasking on a budget. Make sure to get a mobo that supports whatever GPU platform you go with. Make sure the PSU fits the bill.

No budget, so what will work is what I need. I will build what we need and what is suggested. Not a gamer.

How could I get 2 hdmi out of one? Is that possible? Would I need two cards?

HD 6870 then. With no budget an i7 930 or so should be great. SSD is a must. With a single GPU the PSU needn't be too powerful. Get a decent sound card, too.
about HDMI. The DisplayPort can be used w/ an adapter for dual HDMI.

Ok after looking at an HD 6870 it has 1 hdmi, 2 dvi, and 2 mini ports. What are the mini ports for? You say an adapter, any specific adapter?

If I would like 2 hdmi ports would it be best to get 2 cards? Why I am asking that is that converting dvi to hdmi will only get video and won't get sound. That way 2 cards, 2 hdmi both with sound.

If he isn't gaming, youre wasteing money... ANY video card will do what you want.

Outputting to a tv is NOT a graphically demanding task. The resolution is no more than a standard lcd monitor. My laptop with a 9600m gt does it in bluray just fine.

You don't need 2 HDMI as monitors don't get sound like that, and i'd frankly want my sound out of bedtter computer speakers than the crappy monitor ones.

So is he gaming? cause $250 plus for a card just for a dvi is a total waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom