What to do after everything's put together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mliraved

Baseband Member
Howdy,
I'll be receiving the final components of my first build tomorrow. Since I'm a big ol' newb, I'd like to double-check what I should do after everything's put together, since I have a bunch of driver CD's and no real idea of what should be prioritized.

Here are the specifics, in case it's important:
CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops
Mobo: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
CPU Cooler: Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
GPU: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
HD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Optical Drive: Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Case: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Operating System: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

So far, I have:
- ATI 4870 Driver CD
- Mobo "Drivers and Utilities" CD
- Windows Vista Installation CD

So, given everything works like a charm tomorrow (which it won't, of course), what do I do once everything's put together? Plug the PSU in, hold "Delete" to enter BIOS, and then... yeah, that's when I have no idea.

Halp plz?
M

When you get into BIOS, find the option to make your CD drive the primary boot device. Then stick your Vista DVD in and reboot. Install Vista.

When you've got that up and running, install the network adapter (ethernet) drivers from your mobo CD and then go online and download all of the latest drivers from your manufacturers websites.

Enjoy!

When you get into BIOS, find the option to make your CD drive the primary boot device. Then stick your Vista DVD in and reboot. Install Vista.

When you've got that up and running, install the network adapter (ethernet) drivers from your mobo CD and then go online and download all of the latest drivers from your manufacturers websites.

Enjoy!
Thank you very much.

I always like to have the latest chipset, video and lan drivers on a usb or cd when I install. I install chipset 1st then video then lan drivers. Then I take it online to update windows followed by the install of the rest of the drivers. I also like having the latest service pack if applicable to install prior to going online.

Thats a good idea too. I only have 1 computer though so I would just do what I said. Hef has the same idea pretty much, just better lol

You forgot the step about calling microsoft because your legit copy of Windows will no longer pass authentication and yelling at them for 15 minutes that it's not an illegal copy and some people upgrade/reformat on a regular basis. That's always my favourite part :D

I always like to have the latest chipset, video and lan drivers on a usb or cd when I install. I install chipset 1st then video then lan drivers. Then I take it online to update windows followed by the install of the rest of the drivers. I also like having the latest service pack if applicable to install prior to going online.
Alright, so correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Start up, hold delete.
2. Enter BIOS and select start from disk.
3. Install Vista.
4. Install latest drivers (chipset, video, then LAN).
5. Update Windows / install rest of drivers.

Right? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom