What distinguishes a SLi-Ready PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it has atleast 2 12v rails run nning at at enough to power 2 cards.
like my truepower 550 has 2 12v runninning at +19a, which equals like 30 something.

I don't think that's quite what he meant. I think he means: What makes it different than a non-SLi PSU. And the answer is nothing, other than the fact that a SLi-ready PSU will have 2 6-pin PCI-e power connectors. Having enough amps on the 12V rail doesn't always mean it's SLi ready. But you can use a adapter to change 2 molex connectors to 1 6-pin PCI-e connector if your PSU has enough amps to run 2 cards in SLi. Simple really.....

If a psu is rated sli ready it means it has undergone testing by nvidia to make sure it has the power to run dual high end gfx cards

aspire.comptech said:
If a psu is rated sli ready it means it has undergone extensive testing at the hands of nvidia to make sure it has the power to run dual high end gfx cards

Extensive testing by Nvidia? That made me laugh.

magouster said:
I don't think that's quite what he meant. I think he means: What makes it different than a non-SLi PSU. And the answer is nothing, other than the fact that a SLi-ready PSU will have 2 6-pin PCI-e power connectors. Having enough amps on the 12V rail doesn't always mean it's SLi ready. But you can use a adapter to change 2 molex connectors to 1 6-pin PCI-e connector if your PSU has enough amps to run 2 cards in SLi. Simple really.....

That's exactly what i was wondering. thank you for clearing this up. Would somehting like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCI-E-PCI-Exp...ryZ45342QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm probably sounding stupid, but as standard PSU would have 1 PCI-E connector already right?

~Shando

Shando said:
That's exactly what i was wondering. thank you for clearing this up. Would somehting like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCI-E-PCI-Exp...ryZ45342QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm probably sounding stupid, but as standard PSU would have 1 PCI-E connector already right?

~Shando

no.. not all standards come with 1 pci-e connector.. i know mine didnt....

and as for the sli ready psu... i think the main thing with that is that its got2 pci-e connectors already.. i think thats already been said.. also, i think its got a certain amount of amps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom