What is the difference between DDR3 PC 1 RAM and DDR3 PC 2 RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi.

I just noticed one set of RAM sticks I purchased say DDR3 4GB PC1 RAM.

The other set of RAM sticks say this: DDR3 4GB PC2 RAM.

Is there a major difference between PC1 and PC2 RAM, and if yes, can you tell what the difference is?

Thanks,

Soar

Do the two different ram modules have different clock speeds?. PC is just a number that is the result of the MHz multiplied by 8. Which will mean one should have a higher clock speed than another.

Do the two different ram modules have different clock speeds?. PC is just a number that is the result of the MHz multiplied by 8. Which will mean one should have a higher clock speed than another.

Alive,

Yes, that sure makes sense.

These are A-DATA RAM, one set is listed as 1600 MHz, the other as 2000MHz.

Can anyone here help me to adjust the BIOS so that I can go from 1333 MHz up to 1600 MHz, and from 1333 MHz up to 2000 MHz with these babies?

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

Soar

Your RAM all runs at the same speed. This is set using the RAM multiplier in your BIOS. Unfortunately, you probably will not be able to get the 2000MHz performance out of that one stick because the 1600MHz stick is the limiting factor. That said, you can always try and see if it's stable. My OCZ Gold 1600MHz runs OK around 1800MHz so you may be able to get there. Just play with the RAM multiplier to get it (RAM speed is BCLK*RAM multiplier*2, DDR is double data rate so that's where the 2 comes from). Due to this, BCLK overclocking of your CPU also affects your RAM (CPU speed is BCLK*CPU multiplier).

Your RAM all runs at the same speed. This is set using the RAM multiplier in your BIOS. Unfortunately, you probably will not be able to get the 2000MHz performance out of that one stick because the 1600MHz stick is the limiting factor. That said, you can always try and see if it's stable. My OCZ Gold 1600MHz runs OK around 1800MHz so you may be able to get there. Just play with the RAM multiplier to get it (RAM speed is BCLK*RAM multiplier*2, DDR is double data rate so that's where the 2 comes from). Due to this, BCLK overclocking of your CPU also affects your RAM (CPU speed is BCLK*CPU multiplier).

Calc,

Hey thanks for replying! BTW, how is school? Have you begun the new semester?

Our new school year here began in late July [we are on the modified traditional schedule].

Well, aren't there other variables that affect stability? I wish Slay would help me he is an expert in this area...but I think he doesn't like me anymore.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could help me to gain the 1600 MHz on the one pair, and see how we can get the 2000MHz rated pair [use each separately of course].

Calc, good to hear from you. Have a great summer, what's left of it.

Soar

Voltage definitely affects stability, but generally it will work fine at or under the rated speeds. You will have no problem hitting 1600MHz on the two sticks. After that it's really trial and error to see how far your 1600 stick will overclock. If you're lucky it may hit 2000MHz but most likely it will be around 1700-1800MHz without pushing the voltage too high. If you use each stick separately it should hit 2000 no problems.

To set it to 1600, set the RAM multiplier to 6 (133*2*6 = 1596, close enough). To hit 2000 you'll have to increase BCLK, as increasing the RAM multiplier to 8 goes above 2000MHz.

As for school, I haven't started yet. Have 2 more weeks, finish my job this week and get next week off before school. Can't wait to go back with my new PC though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom