What CPU to add to this barebones kit????

Status
Not open for further replies.

imnotbeethoven

Solid State Member
Hi Folks,

My motherboard died last week, i am now limping on a loaner oldschool rig from the olden days, lol.

I found a barebones kit on geeks.com http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-A7-320-K1&cat=CLR&cpc=CLR which has about 90 o/o of what i need. I am not a gamer at all, but a media head.

The kit doesn't come with a processer & i need advise on which one to buy, and where to get the best price. I can't seem to find any info on which exact processer is the best one for this mother board. here is the paragraph of info on the motherboard. I would like to go with a pentium 4 if that makes scense.

"This Biostar I945P-A7 socket 775 ATX Motherboard makes a entry point for this Socket 775 barebones system! The Biostar I945P-A7 motherboard is based on the Intel 945P / ICH7R chipset with support for socket 775 Intel Pentium 4/Celeron D processors with 533/800/1066 MHz Front Side Bus and support for Intel Hyper-Threading Technology. Four DIMM sockets support up to 4 GB of memory. Key features include Realtek RTL8110S - 10/100/1000 Controller, Realtek ALC882 8+2 Channel HD Audio Codec. and Support RAID: 0,1, 0+1. There is plenty of room for expansion and adding high performance video cards with its three PCI slots, one PCI Extreme slot, two PCI x1 slots, and one PCI x16 slot. Start your system off right with this Biostar I945P-A7 socket 775 ATX Motherboard!"

Thanks for any help. :)

Are you sure you only want a pentium 4? It might be worth your while to at least go core 2. I know you can get a E1200 for about 50 bucks, and it beats pentium 4's and pentium D's. unfortuantely you'd also have to get a different mobo...

well, basically i have to stick with what this kit has to offer, money is an issue, so a diffrent mother board is not in the mix, i need to work with what is in this kit for now & want a processer that will work with this board, so the advice i am seeking is based upon this board.

Thanks

I sent you a message about these parts that I have available.
An Intel 775 pin Pentium 4 CPU that was pulled when my motherboard died.
It's 3.2 GHZ with a 1MB L2 cache, and a 1 GB stick of TwinMOS PC2 - 4300.

P1030283a40.jpg

P1030276a40.jpg

I am still trying to figure out what cpu will go with this rig, i have already bought the kit & want to order the processer this weekend, also... what heat sink will work with this??

Thanks for any info

if you really want a p4, just look around in your local paper, or check the buy/sell areas on a couple of forums. As I mentioned before, they really are quite old now, so buying a second hand cpu should be what you're trying to do.

Ok, ( pulls hair out in frustration ), i thought the title of my thread would have explained my question. I am trying to find out what processer will go with this mother board. It doesn't have to be a pent 4, i asked about that because it was one listed, if there is a better one that is in a good price range, please tell me what that processer would be & the exact model #, i would like to buy the darn thing tomorrow night & get this thing built.

Also i am not interested in a used one, but thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom