What is cone on computer case cover for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
The cover of my mystique coolmaster case comes with inlet holes roughly where the cpu is at. Attached behind the cover over these holes is a plastic cone, about 2 or 3 inches deep, widening as it approaches the cpu fan.

I've removed this cone because I am not sure it what it does or whether it is necessary. When the computer is running the cpu fan seems to blow air into the cooler fins over the cpu, so maybe the cone is for drawing cooler air from outside the case? However the cone really takes up much space, obstructing free airflow in the box.

Is this cone useful, or am I better off leaving it off? It seems to me to be designed for a bigger heat sink than the stock one I have for my Intel core duo.

Keep it off, I took it off because I couldn't close my Centurion 534 because of AF64 obstructing it

It makes it to where there is direct air flow to the heatsink of the CPU. Like vernog said when you put cpu fans/heatsinks that were not stock, usually this 'cone' won't fit. I personally feel that if you have enough air flow anyways (side fans, back fans, etc) this cone really becomes a detriment more than something that helps.

Did a build in an Antec case once and it had one of those FLower style Zalman heatsinks.

Had that air duct on the side panel and it fit perfect so the CPU got totally ambient temp air.

Worked great in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom