what computer brands you us for your builds and why - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: what computer part brands you use and why
I like asus or msi 0 0%
seagate harddrives 1 100.00%
ati video cards 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: what computer brands you us for your builds and why

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
Always used MSI for motherboards, Saphire for my graphics cards, and try to use WD or Seagate for my HDD.

DFI hasn't quit the desktop consumer thing, they still make a lot of boards, newegg just doesn't seem to carry a lot of DFI boards anymore though.
Actually DFI has not released a new LANparty for either a year, or over a year. The website hasent been updated for LANparty boards since last november. They are just clearing stocks to make their money off the boards already created and will strictly construct industrial boards instead. If a new P55 had been released i would have gotten that instead of an eVGA last year. Its sad to think the name we grew up wont exist anymore and we wont have those flashy UV slots either but its the truth. Hopefully, we will see it come back in the near future but i wouldnt hold my breath. Im holding onto all my LANparty boards for dear life since they where my absolute favorite and pretty much THE best overclockers.

The (LAN)Party is over for DFI | bit-tech.net

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lookin' for higher ground

I usually purchase items based upon quality AND the huge discounts I can find...[I know, cheap, cheap, cheap]!

Processor: Intel i5-750 and AMD 1055T [both of which I found at about half price]
Motherboard: lately, only Gigabyte [but I have been having challenges with RAM/MB conflicts in the DDR3 range. Had no problems whatsoever using Gigabytes MB's in the DDR2 range].
Graphics card: XFX 250 GTS [came with a free copy of Call of Duty 4 and paid $50] [have not installed it yet], Galaxy 250 GTS [big mistake...non-stop performance and cooling issues], ASUS [pretty good], PNY 9800GTX [gets the job done with no problems], and EVGA [250 GTS's, 9500GT, 9600GSO, etc. and never had a problem with them]. Special Note: I do NOT do intensive gaming, so I do not need the higher, upper end GPU cards...
Ram: G-Skill for DDR3 [but have been having problems with them], for DDR2... OCZ [flawless], Patriot [never again], Corsair [really, really nice]
Powersupply: XFX 650W XXX [haven't installed it yet, but the reviews are stellar], Enermax 720W Modular [got two for about $40 each and they are still working just fine after a couple of years]
SSD: Intel [only in my dreams at the moment...waiting for the prices to drop...benchmarks and reviews make these a no-brainer if ya got the $$$], OCZ Vertex 2 - they will do the trick, look for the Sandforce controller.
HDD: Western Digital Black [I won't touch anything else at the moment]
Optic Drive: LG, Samsung, and Sony [they all seem to do well].
Case: Storm Sniper by CoolMaster [again, I was able to get a couple of them new for around $50-$60 each. I like the cooling fans/controller on em', the air flow, as well as the space.]
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 [again, found a good deal on em', but I hear much better reports about the H70. Also the Cool Master Hyper 212+]
TV Capture Card/Device: Pinnacle Pro Stick [pretty good], Hauppauge 1600 [got the job done] Hauppauge 2250 [absolutely phenomenal]

Hope this helps!

Soar

Seasonic SS660XP Platinum
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
CM HAF X Blue
Antec H20 620
Intel 180GB SATA III 520
WD Black Caviar 2 TB
Seagate Green 3 TB
Gentle Typhoons [3]
Scythe Fan Controller w/Temps
Old 10-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Ehh, they aren't out yet, as they are still producing boards, they may come back once the economy picks back up.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru

I know they arent out yet, as ive said. DFI only makes industiral boards now. Look at their main LANparty site. Last date anything was posted was November last year.
DFI LANParty:The Best OC Platform! Overclock, Motherboard, Intel, AMD

Edit: Its an unreliable source but on their Facebook "Like" page it says that the LANparty name was put off to some other company ive never heard of. Took a look at their site and it says down for maintenance. Ill keep checking back periodically to see whats up.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If they sold off the lanparty name, that means DFI could still be in the consumer market once the economy picks back up, but, not with the lanparty title.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru

Eh to me it would never be the same. The quality of the boards dropped after their nF4 Ultra was king. After that it was kinda meh.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Wasn't just DFI that had quality issues, a lot of Nvidia boards after nf4 just sucked.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Techie

could you guys tell me more about the dfi lan party boards like when production stared and how long they been around I'm going to try to find one for my next build

I have another qustion what is overclocking i know its somthing to do with over working memory and other conponents. Is there a tuturial how i can do it safely? Can overclocking be used for video processling or is it more for pc games I look foward to hearing from you guys what ever you guys can teach me about comupters I would love to learn and video links you can give me to larn more stuff about computers would be great
Old 10-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

The DFI LANParty boards ruled during the AMD s939 days, but as was said above, Nvidia's chipsets stumbled after that. Anyway, here's some shopping searches for AM3, 1156, and 1366 boards.

lanparty am3 motherboard - Google Search

lanparty 1156 motherboard - Google Search

lanparty 1366 motherboard - Google Search

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 10-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Cpu: Intel all the way
Mobo: Asus
PSU: Corsair
Gfx: Nvidia, purely because of the software side of things
Ram: G.Skill
HDDs: OCZ
Cases: Coolermaster

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread