What cable do I need? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question What cable do I need?

I'd like to add a question to that first post: This is my first time building desktop and I had a friend review all the components that I connected together and even though he hasn't built one in a while, he says that I'm missing a ribbon cable from the mother board to the internal burner. I have this PSU [Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31(Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply)]
connected to the internal burner. He also mentioned that since I have 2 hard drives, I need cables that come from the internal burner to the hard drives to dictate the primary drive. Is he right? If so, which cable(s) do I need to get?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: What cable do I need?

If you bought an IDE DVD burner then you need an IDE cable, if you bought a SATA DVD burner then you need a SATA cable. You do not need any cable between the DVD drive and the HDDs.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have a MSI 22X Internal Black Burner (Newegg.com - MSI 22X Internal Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black IDE Model DH-22AP). So I guess an IDE? Also I got a whole bundle including the tower but why would newegg ship me the bundle if they don't include the cables I need for the internal burner and motherboard? I'm going to call newegg tomorrow and see what's up if that's the case. Thank you for the quick response kmote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Normally it is the motherboard that comes packaged with the IDE cables.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I got the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P (Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard) but it just came with 8 SATA connectors and that's about it =/ I called newegg yesterday and they said to talk to Corsair about the startup problem... thanks again kmote.

My motherboard only came with 8 SATA connectors and that was it =/ I'm thankful for the users manual but I don't get why newegg would send me a combo deal (a whole set of components including the burner and the motherboard) if they don't provide the components to make it work... Hmm, I think this is going to be another thread. Thanks again kmote for the quick response
Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8t4meneomatrix View Post
I don't get why newegg would send me a combo deal (a whole set of components including the burner and the motherboard) if they don't provide the components to make it work...
They would probably tell you that it is your responsibility to do that. Either way, what you need now is either a PCI IDE adapter or a SATA DVD burner.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the choices and quick reply kmote

Closed Thread