Western Digital 1tb VS Seagate 1 or 1.5 tb

Status
Not open for further replies.

yexusbeliever

Baseband Member
I've been pondering whether I should leave Seagate. I've always been a fan of Seagate. Due to the bad reviews from many buyers about Seagate in the recent years, I'm debating about being loyal to WD.

What I encounter now is a problem. Since I love Seagae, it's really hard for me to decide whether it's good to go with WD.

The current WD that I find really good is the Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB. Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

However by looking at the Seagate 1.5 tb 72000 rpm 32mb with $10 more than the WD above, I can get more space. Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - Internal Hard Drives

Yet the Seagate 1tb Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives is cheaper than the WD if I was to go for a 1tb only.

But I value stability, especially this is a high amount of storage HDD. The WD has better ratings and reviews for stability than any Seagate.

What do you think I should do? And why is Seagate HDDs getting terrible? Is it because they took over Maxtor?

I've read good things about the Samsung 1TB drives.

Every hard drive has a chance of failing, despite what brand it is. You get lucky, or you don't. I have a Seagate internal and an external. My first internal was bad when I got it... so not a big deal. I've also heard that the recent Seagates have a higher failure rate, for whatever reason.

those are both quality drives... i've always loved Seagates and never had one fail on me, although i've had my share of WDs Maxtors and hitachis (among others) and few have gone by the wayside... but WD has always made quality drives (only one that ever failed on me was an old raptor a couple weeks ago... but i didnt expect much more from an old 10k disc)

you'll find they should perform almost equally in terms of read and write speed, the seagate tend to have a lower average seek time tho... what i think puts seagate ahead tho really is the 5 year warranty they offer (compared to WD's 3)

either way you do decide to go you're gonna get a top notch drive

@ Spit-wad, I've checked the Samsung 1TB. It looks promising. Right now it seems to be the second top 1TB HDD. The WD Black 1TB is in the lead. Yet because of the price, I'm debating whether it's worth to buy it.

@ Bongwizard, I'm reading alot of customers' reviews on Seagate 1TB. They are really terrible reviews. There's almost equally half of the customer's reviews not satisfying at the Seagate because it dies quicker.

Now I'm deciding to wonder about the Samsung or WD. The cost difference is making me unsure about whether to buy it. What you guys think about these two?

the wd 1tb drive is what i would get. only had one wd fail on me and that was due to a n00b watercooling mistake.

Only hard-drives I've ever owned were seagate. I own two of the seagate 1tb 7200.11's right now. great drives. Fast, so quiet I can't hear them and so far, stable and reliable.

It's just personal preference I guess, but unless something big happens, I'll never trust anyone but seagate :/
People seem to like the WD though.

I don't know about any of the seagate reviews 'cause i've never had to bother reading any, but until one fails on me personally I won't be switching :) And I trust newegg reviews about as much as I would trust a convicted thief to house-sit for me.

If you're that worried over it, just go with WD or samsung. They're both great drives apparently.

If anything you'll have peace of mind, and a great HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom