Well, I think I'm ready for my new build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedjunior

Daemon Poster
I stopped by Microcenter in Dallas yesterday and picked up one of the last $200 i7 920s they had in stock, which is weird because some of the other Microcenter locations I checked online had dozens of them in stock, a few even 60+. Anyway, so it seems now I'm committed to a new build. I think I'll order sometime this weekend. I've decided to go with:

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch

SAPPHIRE 100269HDMI Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink with free ZALMAN ZM-CS4A Socket 1366 Clip Support Kit for CNPS9500/9700

Cooler Master Cosmos S ATX Full Tower Case Black

I'm a little disappointed about the Cosmos S case, I was looking at picking up a refurbed model from CM Store for $145 shipped, but I waited too long and they're out of stock. So at this point I have to pay full price. I've built in a medium tower before and I hated it, so I want a big case.

Last time I built I went with Newegg on everything. But this time I shopped around to find the best prices on each item shipping included. There is also $70 in rebates. If anybody knows where I'd find better prices on any of this stuff, I'm all ears.

CNPS9500 is old, and bad compared to the newer coolers

I am using the Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2
don't forget the bracket
Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket Set

sure there are better coolers out there, but can't beat the performance at that price
Old is fine with me as long as it works. The 9500AT is still one of the highest rated heatsinks on Newegg.

Besides, the Sunbeam @ 155 mm tall is too large for the case. The Cosmos S only has room for a heatsink 5.7 inches tall or less due to the 230mm fan on the side panel. The 9500AT is only 125 mm tall.

Maybe go with a coolmaster HAF then, looks better IMO, has better airflow and is $50 cheaper then the Cosmos. Everyone who has one here seems to love them.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The Core Contact is amazing for the price, probably a lot better then the Zalman coolers. The 850w PSU is overkill for what you have. Could save $10 with the 750w Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies Apparently you can Xfire 4890's with a 520w corsair, though its probably not a good idea. The 750 is still more then enough though.

Maybe go with a coolmaster HAF then, looks better IMO, has better airflow and is $50 cheaper then the Cosmos. Everyone who has one here seems to love them.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The Core Contact is amazing for the price, probably a lot better then the Zalman coolers. The 850w PSU is overkill for what you have. Could save $10 with the 750w Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies Apparently you can Xfire 4890's with a 520w corsair, though its probably not a good idea. The 750 is still more then enough though.

The HAF is great and clears the CCF with no problem...that is, if you are willing to change the case. Either one is an excellent choice really.

I don't care for windows on computer cases. I'm not much of a fan of LEDs either. I've spent the last 2 weeks looking at cases and unfortunately most of them look like something involved in an alien abduction. I fail to see what the problem is with the Zalman 9500 AT. I've seen several people here advise against it, but they don't give any reasoning behind their opinion besides "it sucks". Its got an 83% 5 "egg" rating on Newegg, and it highly rated elsewhere so I'd need a lot more than that. Also, I'm not concerned so much with buying product "Y" instead of product "X" to save a few bucks as I am with just getting the best price on product "X" that I can find.

And to address the power supply, I understand its way more than what I need, but at this point I'm trying to set myself up to be able to recycle as many parts as I can (case, power supply etc) for the next time I decide to build, rather than have to replace everything as I am now.

But thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated!

The i7 920 generates more heat than any of the previous cpu's ever released for public use. So while, the Zalman, may have been very good or even outstanding for those older cpu's, it just doesn't have the ability to cool the i7 920 as well as it should. It was never designed to handle the amount of heat of the i7. And Newegg rating's really don't mean much. 1/2 to 3/4's of them are from users with limited knowledge.

At stock speeds the Zalman will perform better than the stock cooler. If you try to boost your performance, now or later, it will be better than stock but not by much. The Zalman oozzzesss disappointment.

I don't care for windows on computer cases. I'm not much of a fan of LEDs either.

I have the HAF mentioned, and can say that the red fan is less bright than any other lights on the front of my case, like my DVD drive or card reader light. I can wholeheartedly recommend it regardless of any of the fancy exterior stuff.

The i7 920 generates more heat than any of the previous cpu's ever released for public use. So while, the Zalman, may have been very good or even outstanding for those older cpu's, it just doesn't have the ability to cool the i7 920 as well as it should. It was never designed to handle the amount of heat of the i7. And Newegg rating's really don't mean much. 1/2 to 3/4's of them are from users with limited knowledge.

At stock speeds the Zalman will perform better than the stock cooler. If you try to boost your performance, now or later, it will be better than stock but not by much. The Zalman oozzzesss disappointment.

BOOM!

ding ding we have a winner

slaymate throws the hammer down

Zalman CNPS9500 series has been around since the launch of the core 2 dual (conroe) series,
with a measly 65W TDP compared to the whopping 130W TDP on the core i7 920

its not a bad cooler, it is just outdated.
if you are set on getting it, fine, but I still suggest on getting another cooler.

case wise
don't buy something that don't make you happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom