Weird proc

Status
Not open for further replies.

damger

Baseband Member
i recently bougth an e8400 from ncix.com, and since i got it, pc wizard and the bios say it runs at 2.0ghz and it's stock at 3, is there any certain reason why this is? to save power maybe idk,

i also need a new psu,

any comments are appreciated

-Damger

It's probably just throttling down to conserve power. I think you can disable that in BIOS I'm not sure how intels work. Why do you say you need a new PSU? What is your current set up?

xfx nfore 680i lt sli mobo
BFG 9600 gt oc2
2 gigs pc2-6400 800mhz
psu, im not sure but its 550 watts, i think its dying tho, if i accidently bump the desk or anything the computer shuts off, and takes a long time to turn on, because it wont post,
ill look for the throttle real quick,

anything else you need?

i shut it off still running at 2.0 ghz, should i overclock in the bios so it says it's 3ghz?
it says 2ghz in the bios

No, it says it's running at 2.0Ghz because it's idling. When you open up more apps and use more power it throttles up to the full 3.0. Don't mess with any sort of overclocking until you're well read up on the subject because you could destroy your whole machine. About the PSU, that sounds a little shady, if you bump it and it shuts off then I'd say it's time for a new one. It's dangerous to be cutting power to a PC with no warning like that, it's easy for hard drives to become corrupt if they get suddenly shut off while writing files. There's a guide about power supplies on here somewhere, Use that to make a good choice.

thank for the information, i got a new psu 650 watt, i think the other one was pretty much done, anyways used orthos to stress test the cpu, bin going for 2 hours and the cpu is running at 3.0 ghz, im probally not gonna overclock it for now, maybe sometime later, and yeah i know how to overclock, just wasnt sure why it diddn't say 3.0 ghz,

anyways thanks for the help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom