Are We Being Bamboozled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moisiss

In Runtime
So I just read up on some HDTV info.... and honestly I have to say I'm confused about something....

Why would someone pay way more for an HDTV, like these...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=hdtv&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1142296375308
or
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=hdtv&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1142291505715

when you could just get a monitor that has better resolution, contrast ratio, and is about the same size (like 1" smaller) for about 1/3 of the price?

I mean, what do you need (besides a monitor) to get you monitor to act as an HDTV? A TV tuner/video card for your comp... an HD source.... what else?

Am I missing something or are the HDTV makers really trying to rip people off that bad?

Well, i suppose that could work for someone who has a really nice computer.... but most do not have a powerful enough computer to watch TV half decent on a big monitor like that, althought the resolution would be fantastic. Most people dont have another way to do it.... so, they go simple.... TVs where plug A goes into slot B and its ready to roll, no software, hardware, or any of that necessary.

the conveince of it makes it more expensive. they already did all of the hard work for you.
That makes sense...
Well, i suppose that could work for someone who has a really nice computer.... but most do not have a powerful enough computer to watch TV half decent on a big monitor like that
What exactly do you mean? How powerful would a computer have to be to run a HDTV setup?

actually, you have to look deeper at the specs

resolution is only a fraction of it

most good quality pc screens are only around 300-700 brightness levels...in comparison or contrast, no pun intended, the TVs are spec'd starting around 1000.

The brightness and contrast of hdtv make them far more appealing for extending viewing.

most good quality pc screens are only around 300-700 brightness levels...in comparison or contrast, no pun intended, the TVs are spec'd starting around 1000.

The brightness... ok, the specs are higher.... everything else.... no.
None of the HDTV's that I posted links to have anything even approaching 1000 (though I'm not sure if you are refering to contrast ratio or brightness)

Toshiba Kitchen Series TheaterWide 20" Widescreen Flat-Panel HDTV Monitor: $699.99
Screen Size 20"
Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768
Contrast Ratio 600:1
Brightness 450 cd/m²

Magnavox 20" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV Monitor/DVD Combo: $599.99
Screen Size 20"
Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768
Contrast Ratio 500:1
Brightness 450 cd/m²

Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19": $184.99
Screen Size 19"
Maximum Resolution 1440x900
Contrast Ratio 700:1
Brightness 300 cd/m2

So the Hanns-G (monitor) has higher listed contrast ratio, higher max. resolution.... but lower brightness....

To me (and this just might be me) 150 cd/m2 more listed brightness isn't really worth $400-$500... maybe I'm crazy though. :)

I tried google searching the subject... but most of the hits are about using a HDTV as a monitor... and there doesn't seem to be much easily accessible info on how to use a monitor as a HDTV. Anybody have any ideas on places to read up on this suprisingly rare idea?

both...I don't want to confuse pc users :D

you have to be a fan of both to easily understand and I am...but most here are just pc :p

My HDTV, not being the newest model is 3 times both ratings...and it's what you would consider a base hdtv

that toshiba must be an economy model, which I understand they have a line of :)

They would be a cheaper model, but still way more for not as good. But if they were the same price and had the quality of the samsung or equivelant high quality HDs, that would change things, and im not a fan of one or the other, just pointing this out.

spec wise the monitors do seem to beat out the tvs, but there is more to it. do Pc monitors ahve all the connectoins that tvs have? and also tvs are built for veiwing movies ect. most monitors unless stated other wise are meant primiarily for word do***ents. although the res, contrast, brightness ect is less. what about the fact that tvs are sized for watching movies and they probably have better response times too. im not saying monitors are bad but tvs and monitors are built for different jobs. there are most likely many subtle differences that add up.

BTW why cant we say D O C U M E N T S? do we just have over zelous word filtering software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom