WD raptor drivers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingWicked

Baseband Member
I'm putting my new build together and I used to prepare new HD's with my old rigs.

This time however I'm using SATA HD's and one of them is a raptor 74G. I started the new system hoping just to boot off the XP CD but to no avail. In the CMOS the drives are recognized, but do I need drivers for the new HD's before I can boot from the CD ?

I also need to add that I bought a 3.5 drive and it has the IDE port, the 4 pin power port and another long black cable with a 4 pin plug. The four pin plug is not hooked up because I can't figure out where it should be....the plug reads +5VCD, DATA-, DATA + and GND. The only port this seems to fit is a USB so I left it off for now.

no, you don't need drivers... If you needed drivers, where would you install them to? They should work fine. Disassemble and reassemble and make sure everything you have is plugged in correctly, namely the IDE cables. they need not be backwards.

Ryan

On install it asked me to press F6 if I want to install any RAID drivers etc....I press F6 multiple times and nothing happens.

Windows boots from my DvD drive, loads drivers and when it gets to " Windows is starting " it hangs.... a few minutes later I get the error:

Unexpected error (32769) Line 5152 D:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

=SW=:beard:

oh no, you shouldn't press the F6, raid is for two identicle harddrives and same connection too, there's sata raid and ide raid, you have one sata and one ide so they can not be in raid mode. if you did press the F6 and still get a error message try to experiment with the cmos.

Actually the problem was the 250Gb drive. Windows can't handle a HD over 137 Gb on initial setup or until SP1 and large HD drivers are installed.....and yes thats what I was pressing F6 for ;)

I looked into the problem further this morning after numerous failed attempts to initialize my Diamond Max 10. It seems the new SATAII has a compatibility issue with the nF4 mobos. In order to fix the issue a firmware update is needed which Maxtor will mail to you (apparently). If anyone else has similar problems the number to call is:

1-800-262-9867

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom