The WD Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

massacreinfallx

Fully Optimized
Okay before everybody tells me to use the search feature i would like to say that i already did, and still diddnt get a decent answer to my question.

ANYWAYS, i recently gotmy hands on a raptor. Now im wondering, i kindof need money so is it worth it to put it in with my 7200 RPM Barracude 160 GB drive and just throw os and games on it? or should i just sell it, because i still need ram and a mobo for my conroe setup.

would load times really be that much quicker?

Umm, I myself never really saw that big of a difference between a 7,200 RPM and a 10,000 RPM, based on speed the read times would be maybe a second faster, granted there may be more to it that I do not know of. I decided to go with the massively cheaper Seagate Barracuda (awesome choice btw =)) Look on newegg at both the 10,000 and 7,200 RPM hard drives,

7,200 RPM Barracuda:

Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
Capacity 160GB
RPM 7200 RPM
Cache 8MB
Average Seek Time 8ms
Average Latency 4.16ms

10,000 RPM Raptor Drive

Interface Serial ATA150
Capacity 74GB
RPM 10,000 RPM
Cache 16MB
Average Seek Time 4.6ms
Average Latency 2.99ms

They seek information at roughly 4 MS faster, in all truth that may (with a BIG file) make a difference, but with smaller files I doubt there is much difference, but again, I DO NOT HAVE ONE, so there may be more that I do not know/understand.

P.S. if someone could please post and explain why the Raptor is so amazingly better I would appreciate knowing it for next time (if in all truth it IS that much difference)

I have both sizes and I'm glad I do... from start up to final boot, Windows takes me around 20 seconds to load... the slowest game I have to load, Quake 4, takes about 10 seconds now to load... where as with my old 7200 I would sit here for almost 30 seconds waiting for each segment to load.. I'd keep it... you can always trade it to me for my 250GB sata... I don't need that much room.. :D

Nukem said:
I have both sizes and I'm glad I do... from start up to final boot, Windows takes me around 20 seconds to load... the slowest game I have to load, Quake 4, takes about 10 seconds now to load... where as with my old 7200 I would sit here for almost 30 seconds waiting for each segment to load.. I'd keep it... you can always trade it to me for my 250GB sata... I don't need that much room.. :D

lol i dont think anybody needs that much room =P

Well... I have my media system with 3, 320's and a 250 in it for most of my movies... and I still need another drive... but I'm out of sata! LOL so I have to either get a 500/750 drive or get a controller card.. Hmmm lemme see... What's cheaper... Ummm... THE CARD... LOL so you wanna trade? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom