WD Caviar Black 1 TB??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default WD Caviar Black 1 TB???

I'm having much troubles. For X-mas, I got a bunch of money towards Best Buy. I want to purchase this.

Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Desktops - WD10000LSRTL

If I go to new egg, as well as the Western Digital website, I see this as the only 1 TB Caviar Black

WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA Hard Drives ( WD1001FALS )

Best Buy Model: WD10000LSRTL
New Egg Model/WD Model: WD1001FALS

I cannot find ANY difference towards either of them! They look identical, but I really could see Best Buy screwing me. So I wanted to see if anyone could find the difference between the two. Thanks

EDIT: It's a 5 year warranty on both, so don't use that as a reason.

Neither of these drives are built for Raid 0, (let alone I have no idea what it really is) but I want to attempt it. I have heard it speeds up both drives, but there's no protection towards crashes, which is why I have a 640 Gb to back up my system files. Do I have this correct? Is it easy to raid (Intel x58 SLI LE mobo)?

Old 12-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: WD Caviar Black 1 TB???

Computer components are always more expensive in stores than online.

I would buy it from newegg for the cheaper price, but that means if it dies you have to pay for the shipping to RMA it.

If you buy it at best buy you pay more, but if it dies all you have to do is drive back there.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

If you received gift cards for Best Buy, buy the drive there. It's the same drive regardless of where you buy it.

Here's some info on RAID. Google brings up a bunch of different articles on it as well. You need multiple drives for RAID arrays.
RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Isn't the OP asking why each website has a different model and what is the difference?
Antec 1200
Intel Core i7 920@2.7ghz
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Noctua NH-D14
ATI Radeon HD5870
Corsair 6gb DDR3 1600
Corsair 850HX PSU
OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD
WD Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500gb
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I know someone who pressed yes...
His home and family Combusted Spontaneously...
Old 12-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Best Buy seems to generally list slightly different model numbers. It could be a store-specific model number, but I can't tell you what the differences would be. Newegg is selling a bare drive which will have a different model number than a retail package.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

DoubleHelix is right. On the drive, it lists the model number that is listed on New Egg. I guess I saved myself 30 dollars!

Closed Thread