Water cooling vs. Air -- price/performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
I have been researching water cooling systems lately and I was wondering what the actual price/performance ratio is when comparing water cooling with a high quality heatsink and fan combo.

As far as watercooling, I am only basically interested in cooling the CPU with the watercooling.

Any details on price comparisons and performance temperature comparisons would be great! I'm not saying I'm going to be implementing water cooling into everything, I just want to know more about the option and to see how much it compares to other coolers when overclocking the cpu.

Pretty sure you wont get a q6600 to 4.2 on water or air. I have had my q6600 as high as 4ghz and never broke 65C but i run the highest end air cooler you can get. For the amount of effort and cost that water requires, i just stuck with air. Water cooling is its own project and something you should only really look into if you dont mind the extra cost and want something extra to tinker with.

Best CPU air cooler on the market and a good fan 85.
Cheapest possible water cooling that can match the TRUE - at least 200.

The best bang for your buck is to just have a well ventilated case w/ a TRUE

you will have to spend at least $200-250 for improvements beyond it

Personally, Id only go for watercooling if I were really really into OCing. The aesthetics is awesome tho

Pretty sure you wont get a q6600 to 4.2 on water or air. I have had my q6600 as high as 4ghz and never broke 65C but i run the highest end air cooler you can get. For the amount of effort and cost that water requires, i just stuck with air. Water cooling is its own project and something you should only really look into if you dont mind the extra cost and want something extra to tinker with.

Best CPU air cooler on the market and a good fan 85.
Cheapest possible water cooling that can match the TRUE - at least 200.

no way, the TRUE is poop compared to even cheapo water cooling lol

I should try a TRUE out and compare temperatures/overclocks... too bad they cost so much

The true loses out performance wise once tremendously once the clock speed is cranked up and put under load.

Otherwise the TRUE will perform on par or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom