Wanting to Buy a PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Wanting to Buy a PC

Hi, everyone. I am thinking about buying a new PC and I'm wondering if I should just wait until newer technology comes out so that the ones that are currently in stock might be cheaper.

I am a college student.

I'm trying to find a laptop that has the following critieria:
-Has a digitizer pen (built-in or not) where I can write on the computer in microsoft word as if it is a piece of paper
-Must have a DVD / CD drive (how is it possible that computers don't use DVD drives, how are games played?)
-Portable
-Long battery life (if possible, over 6 hours)

Secondary needs:
-good sound system
-backlit keyboard
-for college use
-Number pad

I was thinking the Lenovo idea pad with the built in digitizer pen but I'm wondering if there are better options that are less expensive and fulfills my secondary needs. It also seems a bit heavy.

SophyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Wanting to Buy a PC

Thanks, I will check it out.

The Lenovo thinkpad that I want is on sale. I don't want to use a Mac though (not because of brand loyalty per se, but I don't like how apple computers are formatted.

I am not a computer science major.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So, I went to the store and they recommended me a Mac... But I wonder if they recommended it to me because the sales associates at Best Buy get some sort of bonus for selling Macs to people. That wouldn't surprise me.

I'm starting to look at other computers - there is so many after browsing around Youtube and other sites.

But I'm wondering if it's a new computer that I want. I think I want to know how to do inking in Microsoft. And that doesn't call for a new computer.

And by the time the computer I'm currently using wears out, there will be new products in the market.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophyQ View Post
So, I went to the store and they recommended me a Mac... But I wonder if they recommended it to me because the sales associates at Best Buy get some sort of bonus for selling Macs to people. That wouldn't surprise me.

I'm starting to look at other computers - there is so many after browsing around Youtube and other sites.

But I'm wondering if it's a new computer that I want. I think I want to know how to do inking in Microsoft. And that doesn't call for a new computer.

And by the time the computer I'm currently using wears out, there will be new products in the market.
Yes they do.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, digizer pen, laptop, university