Wanted: No non-sense, rocket of a computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tothemax6

Solid State Member
Hi All,
Has been quite a while since I last came to this forum.

The story: I am back because I finally got shot of the last computer, which was a online-ordered ready-made Acer i7, and which was completely useless. I have realized that it is a very significant cost (in terms of time and effort), if one does not get the correct computer and has to return it. It took more than 3 tech assistance call-outs, replacement of every part, repeated pestering of Acer (eventually resulting in a return), repeated calls to the supplier to process the return, in total taking up about 6 months.
Unfortunately, the price of such a machine is for me, to much for me to simply chuck in the bin and try again.

The computer I would like is razor-sharp. It gets impatient with me because I am not going fast enough. It goes on forums complaining about how slow its user is. When I double-click on something, it loads up before I even have time to finish the second-click. Never does a window become unresponsive because the computer is still processing. The graphics are crystal clear and fluid.
My primary use of the computer is using the internet and watching movies. That may not seem like much, but the computer must have absolutely no lagging or hesitation whatsoever, and no video problems at all. Often I will have open around 20 tabs, some on forums, some on videos, some on shopping websites, some applets running etc. I will also have GOM player open, probably iTunes running as well, and music composition software which uses a realistic sound engine running. Matlab may also be running.

Is this do-able? Does anyone here have such a computer? Did you buy it ready-made, or did you assemble it yourself? If you assembled it yourself, what components did you use?

Cheers!

Yep, speed is going to be determined by budget. What are your uses? Any gaming?

PS: Slaymate, how long have you been a mod for? I think I've noticed it before, but it never sunk in until now for some reason.

As well said, post your potential budget and we will see what we can squeeze out of it. Just from your description I can tell that you will be wanting SSDs.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of SSDs. They could be a good idea, do they improve how snappy the computer is by much?
Regarding gaming, the computer might be used to play a game once in a while, but rarely. That is to say, one of those monster graphics cards would not likely be necessary - the card just has to work well with the CPU (which was not the case with my previous machine).
As for the budget, yes price is a factor, my target would be less than AUD2000.
Cheers

A SSD greatly improves performace. My SSD cut my boot-up time by at least 20 seconds and program loading time was cut as well...and there are faster ones out now...like OCZ's Vertex 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom