want to see how far off I am on my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nburger

Solid State Member
I am going to be building my first computer in the next 6 months or so. I put together a build and I want to check and see if everything I have is compatible. I'm not looking for cheaper/better parts, I'm just trying to gauge my own knowledge base right now. These may or may not be the parts that I end up trying to use. I just want to see where I am on the curve of computer savy :silly:

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

motherboard:
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

RAM:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Desktop Memory

hardrive:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives -Bare Drive

optical drive:
Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache IDE CD/DVD Writer LabelFlash Support - CD / DVD Burners

tower:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake VA9003BWS Black Aluminum/1.0 mm SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

video card:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

power supply:
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

I also want to make sure that I picked out components that are crossfire ready. I am still learning, but what better way to learn more than build one myself :)

dont get the 950, save your money and just get the i7 920. with the saved money, you will have more than enough to get some good cooling, whether its air or water, and OC the **** out of the 920.

this ram would be better. costs less, runs at a faster speed, and has better timings.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

i think you should switch the optical drive to a SATA one instead, you wont have to deal with those annoying ide cables, plus they block airflow.

again, save your money with the psu, you dont need 1000ws even if you crossfire/sli. the corsair 750w will work fine. either the 750tx
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
or the 750hx, which is modular.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I'll keep those parts in mind. Like I said, this probably wont even be the build I go for, this was just to see if I was able to pick out parts that are compatible and run together. There very well may be better stuff out when I go to do my build. My main question was did I pick parts that run together. I want to see where I am on the curve of computer savy-ness :) I know I still have tons to learn and read, I just want to see what my base knoledge is at. Thanks for all the help

another question. The video card requires 2 6 pin connectors and one of the recomended power supply has 4 8 pin connectors. I still learning, so can someone explain how that works?

One of the 8 pin connectors goes to the motherboard. And some Higher-End video cards require a 6-pin and a 8-pin power connector. So some higher powered Power Supplies have 2 more additional 8-pin connectors for 2 video cards. And some Power Supplies have even more 8-pin connectors to support Tri-SLI and mobo's with (2) 8-pin power connections.

The corsiars that the muffin enthusiast posted actually have 4 6+2 or 8 pin pci-e connectors so the can run 6 or 8 pin for up to 2 high end vid cards.

Here is a visual. It is the one on the right.

pcie-connectors.jpg

My I ask what you will be doing with this computer?
(Gaming, heavy computing, Graphic design, Server, .etc.)
I suppose you would like/need the ability to hyper thread since you plan on getting an i7

And if someone can confirm this it would be awesome
Rumor: Hyper threading does not help towards gaming

Well, my initial use would be gaming. I know that the components I picked would be overkill. Also, the purpose of the initial post was just to find out if I picked parts that are compatible. As I stated, this may or may not be the build I go with. I'm at the very begining of learning about building a computer myself and I wanted to grade myself on the knowledge base i have right now. That was just a sample for me to ask people it the parts I picked myself were compatible.

At the moment hyperthreading with an i7 would not help with gaming as no games are coded to use 8 cores.

Where it would help is if you were gaming and say encoding a video at the same time.

Once game manufactures start coding games to use more than 4 cores it would help but at the moment no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom