Re: Want a new home theater like pc. Dont know where to start
First thing to note, at any given time really is a good time to buy as with the way PC parts come out, go on sale, and reach EoL you could be waiting a lifetime for that something you want.
Second thing to note, Windows 8 is junk. No, hell no, no. Unless you fancy the Metro touch screen nonsense then Windows 7 will be just fine for years to come.
Third thing, if that laptop still has Vista on it then that is 80% of your problems with slowness right there. The other 20% being your slow HDD that comes with the laptop.
All that being said, with Windows 7 and a 7200rpm drive (or better yet an SSD) that laptop could still be really nice.
On to your PC, I think an Ivy Bridge PC would be overkill to sit there and be an HTPC. On the other hand, if you got a 3570k it would chew up anything you give it for over 5 years with what it's being used for. I think you could make a really nice mITX Z77 3570k rig to fit your needs just nice.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam
Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire
Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.