Want to buy a new computer and need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supernewb

Solid State Member
I am looking to buy a gaming PC and when it comes to computer hardware I know pretty much nothing and so I wanted some advice.

I saw this on Amazon and am thinking of buying it
Amazon.com: Alienware AX51-0066BK Desktop: Computers & Accessories

Yes, I know even with it being marked down $100 I am still paying a lot more than I would if I built my own but I honestly have absolutely no clue what I would need to buy or how to put it together.

The computer I linked to comes with Windows 7 and a mouse and keyboard that's keys glow in the dark, all of which I want and will be buying even if I get another computer without them so please take that into consideration as well. The samll size of the computor is not needed but is a bonus.

So my question is considering the mouse, OS, and keyboard into the price is $899 for this computer a decent deal or would I be able to buy a better one elsewhere? Also as I have no idea what any of the hardware actually is how well would this system run games? Would I be able to play games already out and upcoming on the highest or close to highest settings?

For 899 you can get something with alot more power but too me alot of people like alienware because how it looks but ill give you some recomendations,
iBuypower.com and Cyberpowerpc.com are very good places to buy gaming computers.
Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer EXTREME 569D3 Desktop PC AMD FX-Series FX-6100(3.3GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
I would get something like this and you probally wouldnt play BF3 on highest settings but maybe low to medium with the alienware.

But with the new addition of Ivy Bridge coming outsoon anything can happen in the gaming market so you might wanna wait a bit before buying one

I honestly have absolutely no clue what I would need to buy or how to put it together.
Thats why there are forums like this. If you post a budget along with what you need, like a keyboard/mouse/monitor, people are more than happy to give suggestions.
There are also a plethora of do-it-yourself guides for building a computer, and its not as hard as you might think.
For example: Build a PC - Introduction to Building your PC - PCitYourself.com

Taylor said:
iBuypower.com and Cyberpowerpc.com are very good places to buy gaming computers.
I wouldn't say "very good", but for pre-builts I guess they may be the top of the turd heap.
If you know specifically what you want it to do though you're better off spec'ing one out on their website than buying a pre-fab off Newegg though.

I guess I can use the guide you posted to build my own, thanks for the link. With that said can someone give me a list of hardware I should buy? I will take the cost of windows and such out of the budget so I guess my budget would be about $750. Also I would like to know what kind of capabilities a computer built with $750 would have, like what setting do you think I could run games like BF3 or Tera and Diablo 3 (when it comes out) on?

Also as I have no idea what any of the hardware actually is how well would this system run games? Would I be able to play games already out and upcoming on the highest or close to highest settings?
depends on which game.

it actually have a video card that's on the lower end. the video card is probably the most important part of a gaming PC. with a weak video card, games such as Battle field 3 and Skyrim will probably have to be on low to medium settings. Modern Warfare 3 and Diablo 3 can probably be on high settings. of course, all this depends on the resolution too.

Newest games does not always require more hardware processing power, they do market games with lower requirements to appeal to a broader market. so depending on which games you'd like to play on your PC you may have to settle with lower settings.

if you were to find it(X51) inadequate for your gaming needs, you would probably have to return it. since it does not look like it can be easily upgraded.

I had actually posted a build under a similar budget recently:

CPU + RAM: $162 AMD Phenom II X4 975 + 8GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
Cooler: $27 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
MB: $110 ASRock 970 Extreme4
ODD: $17 Samsung 22x DVD/CD Burner
HDD: $80 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
PSU: $90 Antec EarthWatts 750W
GPU: $230 Asus GTX 480
Case: $40 NZXT Source 210

Total = $756
The PSU doesn't come with a power cable, so you'll either need to buy one or use an old one.

Anyone know what settings this computer would play games like Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3 on?

Also does anyone know if I would be able to use the case I linked in the previous post instead?

Yeah you can use the Cooler Master case instead, just linked the NZXT as a generic $40 case.

Should max both of them at 1920x1080.

Ok thanks for the support. Time to order the hardware and then build my first computer, I hope I do it right lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom