Want to build my first computer. Need advice. - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Want to build my first computer. Need advice.

Well I just wanted to update anyone that is paying attention to this thread that I went ahead and ordered everything for my build that I posted above with a few changes but basically the same. I am extremely excited I feel like a little kid a couple days before Christmas. The amazing part was the shipping only came out to about $40.00 total for UPS 3-day Guaranteed. I am assuming that is probably because of the huge order I made. I cannot wait to start to build this thing.

As I said in my reply above my friend who I was hoping would help me build this computer is unfortunately going to be out-of-town for several months so I will be doing this on my own. However I really think this is for the better because I know had he been here I would have just kind of watched him put it together as opposed to me actually doing the actual building. As far as a few accessories I bought I went ahead and got a Razor Gaming Keyboard because I have had an awesome experience with their Razor Mamba wireless gaming mouse. I actually decided to order another one for my desktop so I can still use the one I have now for my laptop. If you are willing to spend the money and want a wireless gaming mouse that is as good or better than a wired one I HIGHLY recommend it. I will go ahead and let everyone know what I think of the keyboard once I get chance to break it in.

Among other accessories I bought the toolkit that Redfish bought the Rosewill 15-piece set for $12 since most building guides I've seen don't need much more than that for basic builds. I also just went ahead and bought a grounding strap just for the **** of it. It was $7 I figured with the amount I was spending it wouldn't hurt to have it.

So I am expecting to get this all on this coming Wednesday and would be very grateful if somebody could point me in the direction of some good building tutorials especially video tutorials. I seem to do best with those but pictures and text will work fine also. I tried checking out the one in the sticky threads on this forum but a lot of the pictures were missing and it was a little hard to follow. So if anyone has any good ideas please let me know.

One more question. I realized that I had an ODD sitting at home that I got about a year ago. It's actually kind of a funny story I bought it thinking it was an "external" DVD/CD Burner only to realize once it got to me that it was not that case at all. It was actually an ODD meant for a desktop so hey I guess I saved myself about $15-20 there. However I just want to make sure that this drive will work properly.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

That is the same model except for that being a SH-S223L and mine being a SH-S223Q but it has a SATA connection and what not. So I'm assuming that will work just fine.

Thanks again to everyone. I made sure to rep everyone that helped me I hope eventually I will be able to help some building newb like myself in the not so distant future. I will keep everyone updated.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Lord Techie

This is a good little guide to help you assemble your new PC
The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Intelligent Metalhead

So long as it's a SATA model it'll work fine.
Don't forget, if you need any additional tutorial during the build other than what the guide says then we're here to help.
That looks like a decent monitor. I'm looking around for one myself and that's sure on my list. What it all really comes down to is what's on sale.
I gotta say, that's a nifty guide there Slay. I wish I had that when I built :P although I did just fine anyways
Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 2x8GB
EVGA Supernova 850 G2
Corsair H80i
Cooler Master HAF 932

Old 11-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for all the help redfish. I have found a couple videos too and one has the exact same tower that I ordered and I have to say that tower makes it extremely easy for the most part. It really seems like the most difficult/annoying part will be plugging in all the wires. Maybe mounting the actual motherboard. One thing I have noticed is some people prefer to put together the RAM/Processor/etc onto the motherboard before mounting it while others prefer to put it on once it is mounted. I guess that is mostly preference but is there a better way to do it? I'm thinking putting it in outside the tower would be easier.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Intelligent Metalhead

That probably depends on the space you're given to work with. I didn't when I built my computer. I just felt that it woudl be easier to put things on the mobo when it's secured into something. I'm restricted to a small case, too, so it was difficult for me. I'd say that if you have the space in your case (and a heatsink cutout) go ahead and install it before, if not then do it outside.
EVGA Supernova 850 G2
Corsair H80i
Cooler Master HAF 932

Old 11-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
True Techie

Okay I have another stupid question but I figure I will get these out of the way now. Since I ordered the PsyX Dedicated Card and the HD5870 card I've seen how to install one video card in videos and what not but how will I go about installing the two of these? Sorry I'm sure this is a dumb question but I figure I mine as well ask now before I get all the parts on Wednesday.

Thanks again all.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Intelligent Metalhead

That's not at all a stupid question. I've been grappling with that one myself. I have an AMD system, so I have some problems with trying to do that, but I think Intel's chipsets can allow two different graphics drivers.
That said, if I ever get the money, I'm going with a HYDRA chipset.
EVGA Supernova 850 G2
Corsair H80i
Cooler Master HAF 932

Old 11-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish View Post
That's not at all a stupid question. I've been grappling with that one myself. I have an AMD system, so I have some problems with trying to do that, but I think Intel's chipsets can allow two different graphics drivers.
That said, if I ever get the money, I'm going with a HYDRA chipset.
Hm well could someone confirm that the two different graphics drivers can be handled by my Intel's chipset?

Also again I feel stupid but looking at the motherboard I guess I'll be installing both of the video cards into the x16 slots (I think that's what they are) and then I have to connect the two of them together somehow I assume? Other than this video card deal after watching a bunch of video tutorials, looking at that website Slayer provided, and what not I feel like I've got a pretty good feel on the build. Basically I guess if you look at the picture of my motherboard I mean the two white x16 with what looks like clips at the end is where I will put both of the video cards. LOL. I'm sorry I know these are elementary questions just am trying to get this figured out.

EDIT: I have one more dumb question. I'm sorry for all these but hey you've got to learn all this sometime right. I was just looking over all the items again and I was taking a look at the SSD. Not really paying as close as attention as I should have I guess I kind of figured it'd just be a SATA connection however it isn't at least I don't believe it is. So how/where do I connect/hook this SSD up? Will I still put it where I would normally put the HDD in the case that I ordered?
-------> Okay so I feel stupid but I think I figured this question out. Basically it just hooks up directly to the mobo much like a video card would? I think I am understanding that correctly if I am reading it right so please correct me if I'm wrong.

and one other question when am I able to PM people? Is it a certain amount of posts I need to have made?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
True Techie

Well the parts all come today! I can't wait to start to build it. I hope I am able to finish it today so I can fire that baby up. I figured out the SSD question I had. LOL was a dumb question but luckily I figured it out easy enough. I am still curious how exactly I do the video cards. I ordered the PsyX and HD 5870 cards and just want to know how exactly I go about installing those. I believe I just install them into their slots but I do not know how or if I have to connect them to each other. Other than that I think I have got most of the other things figured out. Will be a fun experience.

Hopefully if I run into any problems I can come here and get some help with my problems. Thanks again all.

Closed Thread