Want to build my first computer. Need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thats a HAFX not 932 :p

This build with these changes

Go with the ram farinha suggested.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM

A GTS450 is a little much for a dedicated Physx
Newegg.com - Palit NEAT2400FHD01 GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
this will do.

Th V8 is overrated.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Go with this.

The two SSD's are a waste of money, or at these getting those 2 SSD's. Counting the WD Green drive your spending $645 on drives. A SSD will make a big difference, but not $645 worth of difference.

I have 2 SSD's in my system (60GB and a 120GB) but one of them was a review freebie. I have Win7 Pro x64, Office, Photoshop, Autocad, pretty much all my utilities load on a 60GB drive and I still have 35GB of free space. I have all of my downloads (no music or movies) and saved files on a 120GB (both drives are in this review http://www.techist.com/forums/f38/ocz-agility-2-60gb-ssd-236690/ ). What you want to buy is a big fast regular HDD for your music, movies, temp and page file.

I recommend getting a single big, fast SSD like this for your OS, programs and games.
Newegg.com - OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0240 PCI-E x4 240GB PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
40GB for your OS and programs and you still have 200GB for games and such.

Then, instead of the crappy Green drive get a Black version.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
This is less than $600 and you'll still be screaming fast.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/

Hey everyone!

Thank you so much for all the replies and all of the suggestions. So I have taken the different picks for different items from Redfish's original sample build and have put together what I think is what I'm going to order in the next day or so. I'd really like to start to build this next week so I want to order it sometime this weekend. However I just want to make sure that I will have everything I need in order to do so. Basically I have taken the sample build Redfish gave me and added the different suggestions that others have made and I believe now I have everything I need. However I just want to be sure that I have everything needed so please make sure that if I order all that is below I have everything I need to actually build the PC once the items arrive. I do have a few more questions also. But first please look over the parts list below and make sure I have what is needed and that it is correct.

Cheap ODD (Suggestions?)
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
GTS 450 Dedicated PhysX Card Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N450-1GI GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Cooler Master http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3946032&SID=skim2305X575088
Blu-Ray Drive Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Drive - Bulk Model SH-B083L/BSBP LightScribe Support - Blu-Ray Drives
i7 950, HAF 932, mobo combo Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
HD 5870 and PSU combo Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB RAM Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM
OCZ RevoDrive 240gb SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&AID=10446076&PID=3946032&SID=skim2305X575088
Windows 7 Pro x64 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758

Ok assuming all of that is correct here are a couple additional questions...

First of all if I get the given Video/Graphics Cards above will I be able to run pretty much any game on their highest video settings or at least close to it? This would mainly be MMORPG games which is what I play the majority of but I do play a wide variety of games.

Next I am thinking I should go ahead and get a gaming keyboard since I am making this a gaming computer. I currently have a Razor Mamba mouse which I absolutely love. It is a little overpriced but in my opinion is incredible and worth every penny. I saw a couple of their keyboards on Newegg but I just wanted to hear what suggestions some of you all have for gaming keyboards?

Lastly I currently have a cheap 20" Dell Monitor which I plan on using with this computer but more so as a second monitor. So I am just curious what suggestions all of you might have for a mid-range monitor? I was looking on Newegg and 27" seemed to have the most options and I would like something fairly large. Basically one of those that is the best bang for my buck.

Thank you all so much in advance. I don't think I could have figured all this out without everyone's help. I really appreciate it and cannot wait to start to build this bad boy.

I would get the GFX Abstract Hero suggested for PhyX, the GTS240. Although I would dump the Physx card and get a powerful one, or just the 5870 since you mainly play MMOPG.

I would get the GFX Abstract Hero suggested for PhyX, the GTS240. Although I would dump the Physx card and get a powerful one, or just the 5870 since you mainly play MMOPG.

Would you have a suggestion for a more powerful one? I am just curious and want to kind of check all the options. Also is everything I posted above what I need to actually build the PC? Will I need any other wires, parts, screws, bolts, etc?

Also what about a toolkit? Does newegg sell like a computer toolkit?

If I would spend that kind of money on a GFX card I would get a ATI HD5970 for $50 more or a 480 for the same price as the GTS450 + HD5870.
Personally, for playing MMOPG I would get the HD5870 only, but that's me because I don't game much so giving more than $330 for a GFX card is a waste of money.

Everything else looks good. Asus mobos usually bring all the cables you need, it's my third Asus mobo and I never had to buy a single cable.

Thanks again for the reply. I looked at the ATI 5970 but the cheapest one I saw on Newegg was $500 which is a lot more than $50 more than the current video card. However I guess you probably meant the combination of PsyX Card and the HD 5870. I mean would the ATI HD 5970 be better than the combination of both of those? And yes my most played genre of games is MMORPG but I do play FPS, RTS, and others. I want to basically be able to play them at the highest video setting would both of those set-ups be able to accomplish that? Would I have to get a pretty expensive monitor to even notice the difference in the combo of the PsyX and HD5870 or ATI HD 5970?

I am probably going to order all this later tonight but I am still looking for some suggestions on a monitor. Preferrably a 27" or around that size with an HDMI output.

Also a tool kit for from newegg. I was looking but I'm really not sure which is best for the price and will have all the necessary tools needed to assemble the computer.

Finally a gaming keyboard? Does anyone have any suggestions there?

Thanks again everyone I really appreciate all the help.

For PhysX Card, maybe a GT 430 would be a better choice. Using a DX11 and a DX10 card simultaneously doesn't seem like a good idea.

For the ODD just go to Newegg and under DVD burners click sort price low to high and there are some cheap SATA models.

HDMI? DVI and Displayport have the same or better image quality, and most video cards today have multiples of one of these two onboard. 27" would be a little intimidating for me, as I'm used to a 17" monitor :D and I would probably go with a 23". The benefit of this to a gamer is that a 23" monitor has higher resolution and refresh rates at lower costs than 27". From what I can ascertain, a 5ms or lower response time and 1920x1080 seems to be the standard gaming resolution nowadays.

In terms of tool kit, ya don't really need that much. A couple thin long screwdrivers and a hex socket wrench is all you REALLY need, but I went with the $15 rosewill kit. You don't really need a grounding bracelet, just keep contact with the unpainted case interior and don't work wearing fleece or on carpet floor.
I don't know about the keyboard but the G50 sure seems fancy to me.

Well I think I am about ready to order everything. I think I will just go ahead and go with what I posted above. I would still love a suggestion on a nice and well-priced monitor. I think I will go ahead and take Redfish advice and go with a 23" that'll save me money I'm sure and it'll still be a big difference over the 15" laptop I've been using for the last year or so. Any suggestions there would still be greatly appreciated.

Now since I have pretty much made my decision on my build where are some good places to go to help me actually build the computer. Such as tutorials? It would be especially great if their was one maybe tailored to the tower that I have linked above but if not anything would be helpful especially with pictures and/or videos. Unfortunately I talked to my friend who I was hoping was going to help me build this is in out of town for 3 months. He said he would try and help me over the phone and what not but obviously that won't really do a whole lot. So any help there would be great.

Thanks again everyone. Can't wait for everything to get here next week and for my building experience to finally start.

EDIT: I was checking out the different 23" monitors and I figured I'd start by looking at the ones with a large amount of reviews that were positive and came across this one and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for but I just want to see what you all think. It is on a special now that is including speakers which would be nice. I'm sure they aren't anything special but that is something I am looking to invest in at a later time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom